Sunday, May 06, 2007

Super Sketch Sunday #13

Nothing like waiting til the last minute to get today's Sketch #13 finished! I stamped quite a bit yesterday, but for some reason, layouts were not coming easily to me, I don't know why. It must have been 10pm before this sketch "came to me"!

I planned on using this sketch as a graduation card. I'm always on the lookout for grad card designs that don't necessarily "look" like your typical graduation card. This one could be used for either a high school graduation, or a college graduation.

The one thing I learned recently about graduation cards is that people don't actually WANT the year of graduation on the card. You see, I sell my cards, and I recently brought a bunch of grad cards with me to my SIL in VA. I had over 30 cards to give my SIL to sell to her friends. I had the chance to meet some of them,and that seemed to be the common thought amongst the ladies. No "year" on the card, because if they buy a bunch of grad cards this year, but don't use them all, they can use them for next year! Novel concept, I thought! So, I am going to refrain from putting the "year" on my grad cards, so my customers can get more bang for the buck!

Here is the sketch for today. It's a relatively easy sketch, but one that you can use over and over again. It does require the use of a rather large sentiment, but I would think you could use a large image instead and where the flowers are, use a ribbon. So many ways you can adapt it!

I'm happy with how the card turned out, in the end. But it had it's moments where I was thinking, "oh my God, this is not working....where the heck is this going to end up?" But my perseverance paid off, I'm happy to say! I was actually really worried that the card looked to "halloween-ee", which is always an issue when you pair black and orange together. That's why I added the pink polka dot paper to the center of the punched flower, to tone down the halloween-like color palette! I think it worked, don't you?

It was fun to use my sewing machine again. It's sitting right here in my studio, so there's no excuse not to use it for my cards! I purposely sewed the edges all curvy like that, which is something I learned from Julia at Belle Papier, via the sewing tutorial she wrote a few months ago. I went around the edges twice for a great look.

Do you want to see some of the fabulous cards that have been making using my sketches?

Here's one from Charmaine at Oodabug Ally. Charmaine has been religiously doing my sketches from nearly the beginning. She really is an amazing talent. I love all of the stuff she does. If you haven't checked out her blog, do so today. You won't be disappointed! Isn't this polka dot card amazing? This was her card based on last weeks sketch!!

The next card is made by Nancy at Nancy's Creative Mess. Everyone know's Nancy! She did a great job with her card from Sketch #12. Don't you love all those flowers? Flowers both on the paper and from punches (I think the flowers might actually from a Cuttlebug die...), gotta love it! Great colors!!!! Thanks for playing Nancy!
The last card I'll show you today is by Paula at Paula Ponders. She made her's using Sketch #12 as well. I love the Cuttlebug embossing. I haven't purchased this particular folder yet, but I might now that I've seen it on Paula's card. I love the Brocade Blue with the Sage Shadow. That's one color I don't work with often. The Cuttlebug flowers are a great touch! I have these, so I'll have to take those out today and make some!!! Thanks for sharing Paula!




Well, that's about it. I hope you have fun with this week's sketch. Be sure and drop me a note if you are able to use the sketch! I'm off to read the Sunday newspaper, one of my favorite activities of the day!



Amy

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I have been checking back to see when you were going to post this. Love it!! I may switch the sentiment part for an image, tho (I have some cards to get done!).
    Thanks Amy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy...the flowers are a Cuttlebug Die... I cut them out of a chipboard coaster first, and then out of the decorative paper.

    Thanks for sharing my card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:09 AM

    I haven't done last weeks sketch. I need to do that. I love this one! After the beach tonight, I will have to play.
    Thanks for giving us a great sketch each week! Cyber hugs!
    Your card for this weeks sketch looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:33 PM

    You have a fabulous blog Amy! LOVE the colors of it! Your cards are all fantastic, love that sketch you posted too! I am definatly adding you to my blogroll! thanks so much! :)

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great sketch and creation Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you are working this cornflower punch aren't you!? Cute card and I'm gonna try to play tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sketch ... here's my card: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/549131?cat=500&ppuser=101004

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card for this week's sketch is AWESOME! I have never played, but I think I will this time! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I LOVE this sketch! Can't wait to do it! Thank you so much for featuring my card! I am so flattered! I just LOVE your sketches! They are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just "found" your blog! Will have to try some of these wonderful sketches! Who couldn't use a little inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy. I did your sketch again this sunday. Keep posting them ad I will sure try to do them. You can see your sketch and my card at:
    http://stampnscrapwithpaula.blogspot.com.
    Have a great day and keep those sketches coming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW - this sketch is so cool...and your card really ROCKS!!!! The other cards people did with last weeks sketch are great...what an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:36 AM

    I enjoy reading your blog everyday... I like your sketch challenges and all the ideas that you give. I especially enjoyed your sentiment stamp today. Would you please post where it can be purchased. Mahalo, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a card from your sketch tonight - I have posted it on my blog, you're welcome to come and see it! ;o) I will also try and upload it on SCS - i've never uploaded anything there before, so I hope it will work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your sketches Amy. thanx for doing them every week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just posted my take on the sketch on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally addicted! LOL I LOVE doing these!
    http://oodabugalley.blogspot.com/2007/05/super-sketch-sunday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:21 PM

    I love this sketch. [url=http://beate.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2007/05/08/amys-sketch-challenge/]Here[/url] is my take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was such a fun sketch! I've posted my card on my blog. http://poeticartistry.blogspot.com/2007/05/happy-mothers-day.html

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy, Thanks for your inspiration, I am new to doing your sketch challenges, but I just love the challenge! Thanks, from one Minnesotan to another!!!
    Here is my card:
    http://bp1.blogger.com/_dA85iyarKe4/RkDQtOo_dnI/AAAAAAAAAEo/DKzWfadcpyA/s1600-h/Card+samples+-+5-8-07a+004.jpg

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin