Saturday, August 18, 2007

Be Happy


Do you ever find yourself making a card and it instantly becomes your "most favorite card" EVER? Well, I had that very experience yesterday after I finished making this card based on Beate's newest sketch challenge. I LOVE this card! I think it's the yummiest thing ever!

But WHY do I love it? Well, that's easy. First of all, I used my FAVORITE papers of all-time, Scenic Route's Laurel line. I simply cannot get enough of this paper. Secondly, I used my favorite stamps of all time, my Hero Art bird stamps. And thirdly, these colors are my all time favorite colors. Hands down, these colors make me the happiest when I look at them. So really, put all these factors together and you come up with my "most favorite card" EVER!

Since it's been such a crazy, stressful summer for me, I haven't been able to participate in any of Beate's sketch challenges for so long. I sort of feel like a really bad blogger friend for not supporting Beate's challenges. So yesterday, I decided to do something about it! Let me first say to Beate....this sketch ROCKS girl! I absolutely loved the layout. It was so easy and so dramatic when I used the colors I did to make it.

As I mentioned earlier, each of the papers I used is from Scenic Route's Laurel collection. The black and cream paper is the back of the bird paper which I used on the top half of the card. I used my Janome sewing machine to first stitch the bottom and top papers together across the middle. Then I sewed on the black and cream paper.

Next came Mr. Birdy. I used a scrap piece of Paper Accents Pearlized cardstock and stamped Mr. Birdy using Versafine Black Onyx ink. Seriously people, you need to buy this paper from VV. It is the most amazing paper. I have loved it since the minute Julee sent it to me. It's so sparkly. It takes ink BEAUTIFULLY (and no, the ink DOES NOT smear on this paper like it does on SU Whisper White or Very Vanilla cardstock). I watercolored with it on a different card last night and the sparkles SHOW THROUGH THE PAINT!!!! Can you believe that? It looked like I used Sparkling H20 paints to watercolor!

After I stamped Mr. Birdy on the pearlized cardstock, I stamped the bird again on two different scrap papers and then paper pieced the bird together. I added a little "ground" for Mr. Birdy to stand on by drawing a black "earth line" right underneath his feet and then watercoloring underneath the line using Old Olive ink. The frame around Mr. Birdy is from the Scenic Route Laurel Chipboard collection. I adhered the image to the back of the chipboard and then used dimensional tape to attach the whole thing to the front of the card. The black and white gingham ribbon and the "be happy" sentiment were the final touches to finish off the card!

I hope today's card brings you a little happiness too and inspires you to create a card today using colors that make you absolutely giddy with delight! Forget about making the card for someone else using "safe" colors. Treat yourself and make a card today that's just for YOU....make it a card that makes you feel deliriously happy just by looking at it!! Send me a link if you take me up on this little psuedo-mini challenge, ok?

I need to make a few shout outs for some fabulous RAK's I receieved over the last few day days, lucky me! The first one is from Toni Whitnell of InkyFingers:EverydayArt! Isn't her purple card gorgeous? It's got sparkly ALL over it! I love the way Toni did the cut out on the designer paper using her scallop punch, and then used a smaller scallop punch for the background of her stamped flower. Thank you so much Toni for thinking of me! It's beautiful!

The second RAK is from my sweet friend Colleen at Distinctive Touches. Colleen is always cheering my on and up, so a big hug goes out to her today. She's a great chicky! Isn't this card she made me perfect? Colleen's coloring is stunning, I wish I could color like her! Thanks Colleen!

The final card I received this week is a beauty, and it's from Rose Ann Reynolds. I can tell Rose Ann knows me very well....can you believe she sent me a BEAUTIFUL card using my favorite stamp of all time, Mr. Birdy from Hero Arts? I love this card because Rose Ann used colors I don't use alot, especially with Mr. Birdy. But, I've got to tell you, this card is beautiful!!! She colored the bird with prismas (I think), and her shading is fabulous. I love everything about this card, Rose Ann! Thank you!

Well, it's time to sign off for the day. I am still trying to finalize the details for my upcoming blog contest. Just a few more details to hammer out and then I'll let you know what we're gonna do, ok? I'm going to another Yoga Fusion class today, so wish me luck!

Hugs,

Amy

14 comments:

  1. I am in love with your card too! Plus, your RAKs are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 AM

    I can see why this is your all time favorite card...it is wonderful...so bright, cheerful, and fun...just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:18 AM

    Your latest card with Mr. Birdie is awesome. Glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:51 PM

    Amy, no worries! You are ALWAYS an amazing blogger friend. I know there is too much on your plate right now to worry about my silly challenges.
    I am so glad you participated in this one though. Because your favorite card ever is FREAKING AMAZING! LOVE the stitches, the paper, the frame around the birdie, your paper stitched birdie....everything!
    Beautiful RAK's you got as well. You so deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I love this. It made ME so happy too. I'll have to give this sketch a try tonight. My son and husband are having a "camp out" in the backyard, so I'll get lots of time with my stamps tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome card! You did great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute. Love that little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:41 PM

    This is my all time favorite too, Amy. You know how I adore this paper. So glad I finally found a bundh of it!

    blessings,
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is gorgeous Amy!!! I love those papers and all that sewing is awesome! Your little bird is perfect....and yes....I knew how much you loved him. That's why the card I sent HAD to include him. I'm so glad you like it. *wink*

    Your other RAK's are so awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply beautiful card Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh lala!!!! Love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this card. You are right about using bold colours. I do tend to stick to safe colours which means my cards look boring. I hope to take inspiration from you and try something different.

    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this little birdie- you just make him dance the happy dance! I love your RAK's too, how cool is that birdie card by Rose Ann? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that bird! SO SO SO CUTE!! you're just so gosh darn talented darlin'!! I hope you're having a great week! Hugs! Ash~

    www.ashleyscreativecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin