Sunday, June 17, 2007

Super Sketch Sunday #17

I'm back on track! Whew. It's so hard to merge back into "life" after a vacation, isn't it? I feel like I've finally gotten back on track again. I've been able to establish my routine, and that's such a good thing!

Speaking of routine.....here is today's 17th sketch! Can you believe I've done this 17 times now? It's been so much fun creating sketches. It really stretches me in ways I didn't think possible for myself. I encourage those of you who read my blog to try and create a sketch yourself. You don't need any fancy graphics program. The first few sketches I created I drew by hand!

Yesterday I was able to sit down and get down to business at the stamp table. It was a little hard, I must confess. There were a few trials and errors along the way. Finally I was able to come up with this little ditty to share with you, so I hope you enjoy it and actually make some cards with the sketch.

I started out with a card base of Rose Red, one of my favorite SU colors. I can't wait to see the new SU colors, especially the pomogranate! I matted a piece of pink polka dot designer paper (MME, Tres Jolie) with Old Olive cardstock and placed it on top of the Rose Red base. Next, I matted a scrap piece of Scenic Route designer paper with some Old Olive cardstock as well. This piece was adhered to the front of the card right in the center, on top of the pink polka dot paper.

To make the fish image, I used the scalloped edge of my oval punch to make the "water". I just used the oval scallop as a mask and right below it I sponged a mixture of Old Olive and Ballet Blue ink. I didn't want to make the water totally blue because there isn't any blue anywhere else on the card. I stamped the fish so it looks like he's jumping out of the water. I bought the fish on my stop in Duluth, MN last week while on vacation. The store I bought it at is called the Stampin' Post, and it's definitely a "must stop and see" if you are ever in the area! Not the "prettiest" store, but she has tons of stuff in there! The fishy stamp is from Hero Arts, and I was able to purchase another one as well. The little splashes coming out of the water are hand drawn. The fish is colored using my aquapainter and Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie and Old Olive inks.

I matted the fish image using my scallop circle punch and some green polka dot designer paper (MME, Tres Jolie) to match the pink polka dot paper. It is adhered to the front of the card using foam tape.

The sentiment is from Very Puny, and it you'll notice, I attached it to the card using a wire "fish hook" I made from some craft wire. A piece of pink yarn is attached to the hook to simulate fishing line and is adhered to the back of the front pink polka dot panel. Nearly everything on the card is outline with my Stardust pen for a little extra zing. It's almost time to buy a new set of these Stardust pens because mine are almost all used up! I love these pens so much!

The final touch to the card was the addition of some rick-rack to the top and bottom of the card.
When all was said and done, I like how this one turned out. I need to be on the lookout for "fish" sayings now that I've acquired these new fishy stamps. If you have any ideas on other sentiments I could use with them, please let me know!

I'm leaving you with a beautiful photo of the prettiest flower you will ever find in Lutsen, MN, along the shores of Lake Superior. It is called Lupine (I say "loo-pine", but some people say "loo-pin"). It grows WILD everywhere along the roadside. It can also be purchased at your local nursery, depending on where you live. It grows in different shades of purple, as well as in pink. This photo is taken along the roadside. We stopped the car and I hopped out to snap this shot. I plan on using the pictures on my cards. Every year we go up there, I look forward to seeing these beauties line the roadside, in all their glory. They are such a sight!!!

12 comments:

  1. Oh yes, they are gorgeous! We have them in Sweden as well, but their season is over for this year.

    Love your sketch, by the way! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have you back, Amy! I missed you! :) I hope to get to this great sketch when I get back home tonight! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful card!! I just love the little "hook" at the top!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers! I thought they were bluebonnets when I first looked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a darling little fishy! Looks like a great sketch, can't wait to try it out. So glad you're back stamping! I posted it on my blog while you were gone, but wanted to say thanks again for the sweet little Cat's Pajamas card you sent me. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:29 AM

    What a darling card. That hook is perfect.

    And gorgeous flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, that Lupine picture is beautiful!! Love the bright colors! Can't wait to sit down and do your sketch challenge too! I already have an idea swimming around in my head! And I love the little fish hook on the card! Just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh such a great card!!
    love the lupines too - we have them all over Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back Amy... Here's my take on your sketch ( which I love!!) Pat's Card

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Yippee! I got one done! Here's the link: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/586742?cat=10362

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, my friend Kathy and I had such fun doing your sketch! Thanks for posting the challenge! :) http://oodabugalley.blogspot.com/2007/06/super-sketch-sunday-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your sketch & card!! here's my card
    http://stampamaniac.blogspot.com/2007/06/beach-blogger-bingo-sketch-2.html

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin