Thursday, June 07, 2007

A few new cards...

We were awakened this morning at about 245am by tornado sirens! I must say, there is nothing more disconcerning than waking up from a dead sleep, hearing this sound, and not knowing if a tornado, at that very minute, is headed straight for you!!!!! Unfortunately, the county I live in feels it necessary to sound this tornado siren for every severe thunderstorm warning that is issued as well. So, this morning, we were awakened not for a tornado, but for a storm that lasted, no kidding, a total of 5 minutes. 30 seconds of that was hail, which sounds awful the minute you hear it start! My hubby's car was out in the driveway, so the first "ping" we heard hit the house, our hearts skipped a beat and we thought, "oh no, your car is toast"! Thankfully, like I said, it only lasted 30 seconds. But this is size of the hail we got....hubby ran outside and picked up a few pieces. It was a solid marble size. I took a picture cuz I wanted to share it with you guys. Storm pics make for great blogging!!!

Needless to say, I'm a bit sleepy now. Got the boys off this morning for their last day of school. My youngest is pumped and was a little hyper while he was getting ready. I am hoping this is not a sign of things to come. Even though they're not little anymore, they are still a handful for the summer! The bickering starts at 701am when they awake!

Ok, on to the cards for today. I'm sharing two because I had another black, white and red card to show you, and I made another card this weekend that I've been wanting to share but couldn't get around to posting it.

Let's start with the black, white and red card. I needed a few wedding cards for my stash, and since I had so much black and white paper out, I just used it up! I saw a card on SCS that used the Cuttlebug to make a wedding dress, and I loved the idea. So, I found some glossy striped paper and had cut a dress template to use as my wedding dress. I used my Textile folder for the dress. I figured since I was making the bride's dress, I could make something that represented the groom as well, so I made a bow tie for him! The bow tie was cut out of basic black and matted with a silver matallic cardstock. I gave the bride's dress a silver metallic sash as well to tie the two together. The card just wasn't complete without a big red heart to represent their love! I used my Uniball white gel pen to color dots all the way around the heart. Isn't it fun? Such a fun, easy card to put together!

The second card I wanted to share with you is a card I made this past weekend to silence those true stampers out there who think I can't do anything without using designer paper (I say this in all joking--no one has ever accused me of only being able to work with designer paper!).....so, I decided to make my own "designer paper" using my Little Lady stamp set from PTI. I've done this a few times before (like over a year ago), so it was a good exercise for me to break away from my designer paper addiction and do something else for a change. To make my paper, I just stamped the mama ladybug and the baby ladybug all over the piece of paper in random positions and in different colors (Cool Caribbean, Lovely Lilac, More Mustard, and Old Olive). I stamped a bunch of flower all over and completeed it all with the ladybug "swirly path" (I have no idea what you call this dotted border). I aged the paper with my Ranger Ink in Tea Stain to bring down the bright colors a bit. A simple scalloped border with a polka dot ribbon tied around it was the final touch. Another easy card! So, did I do ok? Did I prove I was a "real" stamper by staying away from the designer paper? Yeah!!!!!!

Well, that's it for today. I am going to try stamping a bit this morning! I got a bunch of new stamps yesterday afternoon from Electic Paperie, woo-hoo! I got some new Stampendous clear stamps, and some MFT stamps too! Can't forget the Stampendous Agapanthus Cluster stamp, which I've wanted for a long time:)!

One last thing.....I have a question to pose to you ladies....I want your 100% honesty. When you get new stamps, are you able to sit down right away come up with a design? The reason I ask is that yesterday, I inked up my MFT stamps and could do nothing right with them! Everything I did turned out icky. It was almost as if I couldn't come up with anything because I had seen so much many awesome cards out their using the stamps, that I couldn't come up with anything original of my own. Do any of you also have trouble like this, or am I the only goofball? You're insight would be greatly appreciated....I wonder if there's somewhere I could go to seek help with this problem....perhaps there's such a thing as a creative block psychiatrist I could visit?????;)

p.s. My apologies go out to Beate because I said yesterday she sent me a monkey card for my birthday, but it's clear in the picture she didn't send me a monkey card! I was trying to shadow my monkeys like the monkey card she had on her blog, which is here. Sorry Beate!!!

22 comments:

  1. Your wedding card is too awesome! Love the dress and tie!

    Beautiful job of creating your own designer paper! Your card is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards!

    I don't always have inspiration when new rubber comes my way. Sometimes I just have to play for a while to get an idea that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards - love the wedding idea! And you did an awesome job on the designer paper. YES - I have problems after receiving new stamps (must be stampers block or something!) The last ones I received sat there unused for over a week before I finally mounted them & used them. Every time I looked at them my mind went blank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:05 AM

    I too am having problems creating since I've been seeing all the awesome cards on the blogs ( yours is the 1st I read everyday). I can't seem to be satified with my " simple " creations. I need more layers, more embellishments,more colors, more, more more. Let me know when you find the stamping therapist. Your cards are an inspiration. Thanks, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you had to deal with hail that early in the morning, Amy -- I totally know what you are talking about. My 2-month old new SUV is in the shop as I type, having hail damage repaired! Love the paper you made with Little Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Holy cow that's BIG hail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your red, black and white wedding card. Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally understand your frustration with new rubber.

    I think it's a good idea to give yourself time to think how you can use that stamp, rather than rushing and making the first thing that come across your mind.

    In my case, I try to make ideas for using something I ordered online since the day I ordered it. So, I still have 2-3 weeks to come up with something I can use my stamps/papers/etc when arrived :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're cards are beautiful. Love the cuttlebug on the wedding dress. And there was no question that you're a "real" stamper! I find I have a harder time with new stamps when I've seen it used a lot. Then I feel like I have to come up with something amazingly original with it. Images that I haven't seen used seem to jump onto a card immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Both of your cards are simply wonderful. That wedding dress & bowtie are quite clever and I love Amy Westerman's own designer paper, too! :) Very talented! That's something I find difficult to do. When I stamp backgrounds, mine always looks too orchestrated, not colorful, free and interesting like yours. What's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  11. not a good way to wake up! Glad everything is ok....that is some huge hail! Love your cards, I really like what everyone is doing with that little lady set, now kicking myself that I didn't order it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you, Amy. I purchased several Stampendous bees and Changito images because I had seen so many beautiful cards with them. But, now that's a curse because I can't think of any original layouts or designs! ARGH! One thing I'm going to try is CASEing some of the cards I've liked with these images - then, I may find that I go my own direction once I'm warmed up. Also, I like to visit sketch blogs and page maps to get inspiration and FORCE myself to do something other than what I've loved. Your blog is GREAT. You're a stamping GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:53 PM

    No reason to apologize!

    I am glad your car wasn't damage and the tornado stayed away. That looks like some mighty big hail!

    I love the wedding card you made. It's fun and elegant looking at the same time. I don't know how you pulled that off.

    And not using designer paper becomes harder and harder for me as well. It's so much easier then stamping your background. Plus there is so much gorgeous paper out there. (insert big sigh)

    Love the card you made Amy. And tell me who is saying that about you. Do I need to talk to someone!

    You keep using that gorgeous designer paper you have. I love how you inspire me to mix and match more boldly.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a scary thing to wake you up. My hubby is a meterologist by training and he drives me insane with severe weather. There is some headed our way today, so I'm sure we'll have all sorts of gadgets up and going around here.

    I love the PTI dp you made. This set is gorgeous and I sure wish I had it myself. Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are under a torndao warning here as I type...thinking of going into our storm shelter...but nah...gotta blog surf!

    I LOVE the wedding dress idea...cool.

    I really like your "stamped" card...and for those out there that think "true stampers" don't use patterned paper...they should check out all the latest magazines...it is EVERYWHERE!!! (Stamper or papercrafter...YOU ROCK!)

    and yes, I sometimes get creative block because I have seen too many wonderful things...I can't be original!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this card! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love the ladybug card! Your stamping looks great and I just loooove the colors you chose! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the wedding dress on the first card... What a great idea!

    The ladybug card is wonderful! I LOVE the colors you used together to create your own patterned paper.

    ReplyDelete
  19. way to go!!! your DP is awesome, and I would have thought it was DP except I recognized that ladybug and then took a closer look. I love that card.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3:45 PM

    Both wonderful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I am soooooo glad you didn't get a tornado! I can only imagine how scary that is. I live in tsunami land and my house is low enough that a big one could wipe us out of this town.
    I love the cards you shared today and I must say I am with you on the designer paper...I LOVE IT and have a hard time just stamping the backgrounds any more. As Beate said, there are so many BEAUTIFUL pieces of paper out there that it truly is hard not to buy it and use it. Besides CARDS LIKE IT!
    Hugs to you,
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE your ladybug card. The colors are just wonderful. So happy! On new stamps, usually I'm all ready to get stamping with them. New things inspire. Not that I sit down and whip out a card without any thought...ever..whether the stamps are new or not. I'm so slow. But hey, it's not as if I need MORE cards.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin