Thursday, May 10, 2007

My favoritest card EVER!

I hit the jackpot. Well, at least I think I hit the jackpot!

Last night, card karma was with me when I put this baby together, and I have to say, it is my favoritest card I have ever made!!!!!! Everything came together like magic. Every piece of paper I chose matched, ever cut I made was perfect. I'm mean seriously, how often does that happen? I am in love with this card. These birdies make everything they grace beautiful ! I think it's the birdies, not me!

I made this card for yesterday's SCS sketch challenge. I have been quite a rebel lately when it comes to following sketches to the "t", and this one was no different. I didn't want 4 separate squares on the card, so I put my thinking cap on for a minute to figure out what other options I had. This "window" idea is what came to me. I've seen it done before, just not with any of the cards made for yesterday's challenge (at least that I could find). I knew my birdies were the perfect tennants for the squares!

So, I first cut a piece of patterned cardstock 3 1/2 x 3/12 and punched 4 large squares in it. I use the CM square punch, and used the large square for this project. The piece of paper should take all 4 punches perfectly with no trimming. It was easy to line up the punches perfectly with the markings they provide on the outside of the punch. Try this process on a scrap piece first before you punch your patterned paper to make sure you have it down correctly. No sense wasting the good stuff!

Next, I cut a piece of Very Vanilla just slightly smaller than 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 so it would be hidden by the patterned frame. I laid the patterned frame over the Very Vanilla and used it as a guide so I knew where to stamp the birds. Then I removed the frame and painted the birdies!

I used my aqua painter and Cool Caribbean, More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie, and Rose Red inks. Each bird got a little of each color. I outlined each of them with my Sakura Glitter Pen, which added so much sparkle to the little creatures! When the birdies were dry, I mounted the patterned frame on top of them using foam tape for dimension. The bird frame was then mounted on top a piece of coordinating patterned paper by MME, which was matted with Rose Red. The ribbon is by American Crafts and is adhered to the back with glue dots. The sentiment is by Wordsworth, and is stamped on an oval punch and matted with coordinating patterned paper. I plan on using the card as an anniversary card!

I really, really, really wish you could see this card IRL. It's beautiful with all the sparkling birdies. I don't know, this might stay in my personal stash for a very long time, or I might consider donating it to someone who recently asked for a card donation as a prize giveaway for a Shoebox Swap in IL this summer (wow, that was a mouthful). I hope you like it as much as I do, but even if you don't (everyone has different tastes), I will always love it!

On a totally separate note, I want to give those of you who own a digital SLR camera a little tip. You know how difficult it is to take good pictures of your cards if you don't have good daylight in your room? That can all be avoided if you buy yourself a "gray card" from the camera store. It's very inexpensive piece of "equipment" you can buy for your camera (it's like maybe $5)! What you are going to be doing is "pre-setting" your white balance to the light currently available in your room.

I learned how to do this technique earlier this year when I bought my first digital SLR camera. And I have used it every day since, each time I take pictures of my cards. Here are the steps you take to ensure the perfect lighting exposures for your handmade cards....

1. Buy a "gray card" from your local camera store. It is used for establishing the correct exposure for the available lighting.

2. Place your gray card right where you want to take a picture of your handmade card. I use a little easel to hold my gray card upright. Have whatever additional lighting set up and "on" that you will be using when taking a picture of your handmade card.

3. Go to your camera's main menu and find your "shooting" menu.

4. Find "White Balance", press ok.

5. Choose "White Balance Pre-set", press ok.

6. It will ask you if you want to "measure" or "use photo". Choose "measure".

7. It should ask you if you want to "overwrite existing preset data", say "yes", press ok.

8. Now you are ready to "take a picture of the gray card" under whatever lighting conditions you will be using.

9. Snap a shot of the gray card. Your camera should tell you whether or not it aquired the correct data or whether or not it needs you to shoot it again.

10. You are now ready to take a picture of your handmade card. It should have the perfect exposure. You might have to fiddle with your +/- buttons slightly to adjust exposure, but basically, it should be perfect.

I work with a Nikon D40, but all digital cameras have this ability to pre-set the white balance for any lighting conditions. Each camera is different and might now following the above steps exactly, but it should be relatively close. Read your manual today and learn how to do this! The gray card can be used in all photographing situations, not just taking photos of your cards. I hope I didn't screw you up too much. The most imporant thing for you take from this is that you should buy a gray card, and you need to learn how to use it! You will not regret it.

21 comments:

  1. I can see why this might be your favorite. I really like the how you brought the polka dots from the frame into the ribbon. Nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific card, Very fresh & fun! You did a fantastic job matching colors, patterns etc...and I love the sparkle on the little birdies! Ida

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the birds, love your rebellious layout (teehee!)...just plain ol' love this card. Great job, I totally understand why it is your fav.
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Amy! Love the colors and everything about this happy card! :) Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers for us - baby's doing great and I improve every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your creations!!

    Bety :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww these birdies are just so cute...I can see why you like this one so much. It really is cool. Thanks for the tip on the grey card...I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific creation...those birds are a must have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card! I love the colours and guess what, I just ordered that stamp set! I have so fallen in love with little bird stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't make you so happy when you just love how your card turned out? Well, obviously. But, me too. And this birdie card really is just perfect. I love the red-headed bird.

    And, hey, I saw your counter just turned 50,000! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous, I can see why you are so happy with it, you should be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Amy, your card is beautimous! I love it. Thanks for the photography tip! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a gray card! Maybe I should pull it out. Thanks for the reminder! ~:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right...you DID hit the jackpot! Awesome colors and stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:35 PM

    amy thanks for the photo tip, I just bought a Rebel XTI, and had been fiddling with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one CUTE CARD! I truly adore every last inch of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Okay, so now I have to get this set! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Judy
    jtuttle@lps.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Hi Amy, I love your blog/work. This card is beautiful. I like just looking at it, it makes me smile. Beautiful work. Linda D

    ReplyDelete
  18. SUPER CUTE,Amy! Isn't it the best feeling when things just come together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great card! I just bought this stamp set too! The colors are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:00 PM

    Adorable Card! Love those birdie's

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! That card is wonderful! Although the birdies ARE cute, they aren't the ones who make the card! You did a great job!

    Thanks for the tip on the SLR cameras too! I am still (and probably will be for a long time) reading the manual, looking on the internet, and just plain playing around with mine. I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin