Friday, May 11, 2007

Flashback Friday!

Wow! You guys loved this new feature!!!! It definitely struck a chord with many of you. You thought it was hysterical, and many of you thought it was inspirational, because looking back at our creations from a better place makes us grateful for how far we've come in just a short time!

There were so many funny stories shared with me about YOUR first cards....and many of you wish you could "take back" all those horrendous cards you gave to others in the beginning!

Just take a look at this beauty? Oh my goodness, can you say BLAH??????? Icky-pooey. I was SO into distressing the edges of EVERYTHING I laid my hands on way back when. Every edge of every card was scraped on the ink pad. It's no wonder my pads have frays everywhere. THIS explains everything!!!!! If this card doesn't inspire you and convince you that there is hope for you to improve beyond your wildest imaginations, I don't know what will:)!!! Heaven hopes I didn't send this card to someone as a thank you or something.....or worse yet....SELL it to some poor sap. That would have been a big waste of money!

Let's move on to prettier things....shall we? Really, I think aliens must have abducted me around the time I made the above card, and I have since returned to earth. What a difference, uh? To those of you that have your own blog, I encourage you today to post one of your early cards. By doing this, you have a chance today to encourage someone who might be thinking they aren't as good as some of the elite stampers out there. Well, those elite stampers didn't start out making cards like they do now. They started out just like us....with cards that look like that!

It's not going to happen overnight. It takes hard work and determination....and MANY hours in the stamp room! And it takes a willingness to grow beyond what you think you are capable of. I can honestly say I have worked really hard to perfect my craft, and it's been a blast every step of the way (well, maybe there were a few days in there that I moped around convinced I'd never amount to anything in the stamping world).

Make some goals for yourself. I did this year, and I am NOT a goals person. Make your goals small ones at first so you can pat yourself on the back along the way. Do not give up. Do not give in. You all have the ability to be as good as some of the best out there. There is NO doubt in my mind about it. I'm mean, come 'on, look at that card up there and ask yourself, "has this woman not come a LONG way?" I'm sure if you look, you can say the same about yourself. You've come a long way, baby. And you've got nothing standing in your way of being just as amazing a stamper as some of those ladies you look up to right now. You go girls!

Sorry it took me so long to post today. Had an early dentist appointment this morning. Could only get a little of the post done before I left and then had to finish it once I got back home. Had to run a few errands first to get ready for tonight.

What's tonight? Tonight is a very exciting night in our household. It's our youngest son's 13th birthday party! Get this.....we are having his birthday party in a luxury suite at the MN Twin game! Yikes! Me, Dad, and a Girlfriend against 9 rambunctious boys. Whatever was I thinking? Actually, before you go thinking we must be rich to be able to afford such a birthday party, know that it was given to me as a perk from the Fox affiliate here in town. I am a senior freelance media buyer (have been for many years), and I spend lots of money with the tv and radio stations here. As a perk, my rep asked me if I wanted some Twins tickets (they have bunches), and then she suggested a birthday party. I thought that was a great idea, but then she offered the suite instead! Yowza! They are stocking it with hot dogs, chips, pop and cookies, and then halfway through the game they are sending pizzas! Can you believe it? We are SO excited. And that isn't even the best news about the party. Since we weren't spending anything on the game, we decided to splurge and rent a limo to take the boys to the game!!! And my son has NO IDEA about it! I can't wait to see his face, ALL of their faces, when the limo pulls up to the house. What a precious sight that will be. I've got my camera ready for snapping. I hope to share some pics with you tomorrow. Wish us luck. I pray the boys behave themselves and that everyone has a GREAT time. Now I have to go get some stuff done around the house. Have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

  1. I have a card in my stash that looks just like that...messy distressed marks along every edge...I thought it was soooo cool! I have since perfected the "subtle" direct to paper technique. Your second card is beautiful. I may have to case the flower idea. (and the layout)

    Hope you have a great time at the ball game...what a great memory for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:43 PM

    Hi Amy! sounds like quite an evening!
    I love your card you posted. Even the early one wasn't bad. My early ones are bad. But they are out there for everyone to see on SCS. (don't go there...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:53 PM

    I always enjoy reading your blog, and love seeing all the beautiful cards you've created. Thanks for sharing your older cards too - they really are inspiring to me!

    I have a suggestion for your Flashback Fridays too. It would be neat to see you CASE one of your own old cards some weeks - so use the same stamp set, or colors, or something, and show us a new and improved take on an old idea. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You totally inspired me to go back and look at early works. At times, it has pained me to leave those old cards up on SCS, but they are where I came from, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I've posted my first "SCS-worthy" card on my blog this afternoon and linked back to this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to post our "early cards", although, I may have gotten rid of them! LOL Have fun tonight. . .sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best! I love the topic of appreciating how far we have come! We all forget to do it!
    How do you sew on paper so straight. I know how to sew, but when I try it one paper I can't keep it in a straight line! I LOVE the card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You can definitely see your development. I might take you up on your challenge -- I'm too embarrassed now to send out the early cards.

    That second card is breathtaking. I might have to take a stab at a sketch like that. Beautiful work -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:54 AM

    Forget the card ... I wanna hear how that birthday party went!! My son's 12th birthday is coming up next month. No way I could do something as cool, but you've inspired me to be creative in the options. I hope you post a picture, and tell us all about his reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:34 PM

    I wish my 1st cards looked as good as yours. No blog, so I am safe :-) I am just loving your blog...TFS

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin