Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Colors

Happy Memorial Day!

Thank you so much for all the nice comments yesterday regarding my "mood" and Super Sketch Sunday! The general consensus about continuing Super Sketch Sundays was for me to basically do what I needed to do to make myself happy (that was NOT much help peeps!) Don't you know my job is to make all of YOU guys happy? Kidding. I don't know what I'll end up doing....I'll think it through this week and if a sketch comes, I'll post it, if it doesn't, I'll take the week off. Sound good?

Today's card is the card I originally made yesterday morning for the sketch challenge....I love how it turned out (mostly I love the colors), but I was worried it was a bit much for the sketch challenge. It's sort of "out there" if you know what I mean! I think maybe I was stiffling my creative juices too much yesterday morning, which caused my "mood"!

This whole card revolves around the awesome Scenic Route paper I used on it. I had found some of this paper a few months ago, and recently ran across it again. I had to snatch some up again! These are "my" kinda colors! The next thing I wanted to use on the card are these mini chipboard monograms that I won from Julee's blog (Poetic Artistry). The black paper is actually the back of the bird paper. It really is the strangest thing, IMHO. Such beautiful, colorful paper on one side, and stark black and white on the other. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it. I love it, don't get me wrong. I ended up using it to cover the letters. I love black with bright colors, it just makes everything POP!

The colorful bird paper is matted with a piece of Pumpkin Pie cardstock. I used my wavy decorative scissors to cut the border and a Uni-ball Signo white pen to make dots around the border. The sentiment is from SU's "So Very" set. I wanted everything to be bold on the card except the "missed" at the bottom. My goal , or hope, was to emit strong emotion through the bold black and white chipboard and black and white "so very" sentiment, but for the "missed" part of the card to evoke a vulnerability and a sense of affection. Don't know if I accomplished that, but that was my goal!

I decided to share this little card this morning too. I made it yesterday morning while trying to come up with an acceptable sketch challenge. This too was an option for the sketch challenge, but I was unsure of it as well. Now, are you starting to see how my squashing my creative juices yesterday contributed to my crabby mood? I was creatin'...I just didn't think what I was creatin' was good enough! Oh well. I learned a lesson from yesterday morning...go with your heart. Don't create something (or not create something) just because you're worried or concerned about someone else. I was worried these were too "out there" for you guys, but my gut (or heart) instinct was to use them. Dumb on my part. You still might not have participated in the sketch (and that's COOL!), but I would have followed my heart and stayed true to myself. Consider it a lesson learned.

The base of this card is actually a 4 in chipboard coaster that I covered with the bird paper. I then cut a card to lay on top of the chipboard that will open up for you to write something inside. I don't have an 4x4 envelope for it, but I could just put it in a slightly larger square envelope, which would work. The sentiment is from my Paper Tray set. Flower is Doodle This. It took all of like 5 minutes to make! Gotta love that!

One last picture to share with you today. This is me and the other birthday boy from our birthday dinner last night! He turned 44 on Saturday, I turn 44 tomorrow. His name is Mike, and he's a big, huggable teddy bear!

We went over to their house last night for a BBQ! We never fail to eat well whenever we get together, and last night was no exception. I brought bruchetta for an appetizer. Last night was my first batch of the season. I will make it ALL summer long for one gathering or another! Do you want me to share the recipe? I'm warning you, you'll become addicted! For dinner we had chicken, beef and veggie kebobs! Delish! For desert we had strawberry/blueberry cheesecake! It was unbelievably yummy! After a quick dip in the hot tub to relax a bit, we were happily on our way home for the night!

Today my folks are coming over for a birthday BBQ. My brother and his wife who live right near us will probably come too. I think we've settled on a beef tenderloin on the grill. I'll make another batch of bruchetta for an appetizer! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

A heartfelt thanks to all the men and women of the armed forces who've lost their lives fighting for our FREEDOM!

A heartfelt thanks to all the men and women of the armed forces who CURRENTLY risk their lives fighting for our freedom!

We salute you today! God Bless America!!!!!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:38 AM

    Both cards are fabulous! And yes, share your recipe! And a very happy birthday to you!

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:15 AM

    Hi Amy, I found your blog through Beate's and I must say she was right...you are quite amazing! Can't wait to see more:) Have an awesome birthday and please do post your bruchetta recipe (yum!)
    Aloha, Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. doyes, we want the recipe. Beate was right..you awesome work with paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, leave a recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I always enjoy your creations. I am such a "vanilla" person, that's why I appreciate your creations so much. They always emit an energy and vitality.

    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Suess

    Have a wonderful birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:47 AM

    I love your cards and appreciate your honesty. It is so inspiring to see how others work through the creative process and I love your end results. Please do share the recipe--it sounds yummy!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Love the art you decided to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yea, both cards are so great. I'm sorry you felt they were not good enough cuz I think they are fun and hip, and I appreciate your refreshing honesty about how you felt about the cards and the process turning your mood south. Oh I can sure relate! I am especially digging the one with the chipboard backing. What a great idea. Of course I love all the bright colors of both cards.

    I hope your birthday is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy...I love both of your cards! Love the paper you used! I haven't tried your Sunday challenge yet...but I'm still planning to (even though it's a day late). I must wait until later, and the kiddies are in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday.

    And yes, the recipe would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:26 PM

    Love the cards today. Just stunning, as usual. And......share the recipe! Please! summer finds me not wanting to be in the kitchen at all, so maybe your recipe will help that. :) Ya think?

    barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:50 PM

    Love these cards!! And where is the recipe???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amy! We have been gone for the long weekend and I came home to read your blog and your quandry. I tend to agree with everyone else--do a sketch challenge when you feel like it and one comes to you. It doesn't even have to be on a Sunday!! I read your blog every time you post something thanks to my google reader, so would find out about it that day anyhow and if I feel like it, I will participate. No pressure on either end.
    Also, I love the cards you created yesterday. They are very neat--esp. the squash book. Anyhow, go with your heart--Heartfelt greetings is your name, so what does that say?
    Cheryl Sims

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin