Friday, September 26, 2008

Real Recipe Friday

Since it's was one year ago today that my MIL Muriel passed away, I thought I'd share with you a soup recipe that Muriel gave me years ago. It is one of the Hubster's favorites. It is SOOO easy to throw together for a quick dinner! I have to be honest, I haven't made this for a long, long time, but now that I've pulled it out again, I'll be making it for the Hubster real soon.

Italian Sausage Soup
1 lb. Italian Sausauge (I used ground sausage, not links)
1 onion, chopped

Brown sausage and onion together in soup stock pan and then drain grease. To this mixture add:
1 28 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
4 c. beef stock
3 c. chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups celery
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
pepper to taste

Simmer approx 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Optional add ins: cabbage, carrots, or green beans.

If you are anything like me, you love easy but satisfying meals. All you need to do to make this meal fit for a king is add a simple salad and a french baguette!

Well, this morning I was up bright and early with the boys. This week is homecoming week and today is spirit day. The kids get all dressed up in decorated pants, school colors, etc. This year, Eldest Son wanted me to paint his face like one of the members of the rock band KISS. His buddies were doing the same. Always trying to please my little cherubs, I relented and bought the face paint. However, before any face painting could start, Eldest Son had to make the decision whether or not to shave off his beard. If he didn't, I couldn't paint his face. He hemmed and hawed all evening until finally, at 8pm, he decided he was going to shave it off! Yikes! Personally, I like him in a beard. It gives his a little "weight", as he's very skinny! Here's a before and after shot of the big shaving moment....

And here is the finished KISS masterpiece this morning...
He was so worried the whole time I was painting, thinking I was doing a terrible job. But, if I do say so myself, he ROCKS! His first look in the mirrow after I was done was priceless....he loved it! Now I just hope he's having fun at school! Hubby is off to work the big Penn State game tomorrow in PA. It's just me and Youngest Son this weekend as Eldest Son has a Senior Retreat at COP (camp).

Hugs,
Amy

6 comments:

  1. Well I think you did an excellent job on the face paint! He DOES rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally KISS!!! LOL You did an awesome job with his face painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy...was showing my teenage daughter your sons pictures and in her opinion, she likes your son without the beard. She wants your to be sure to tell him. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished making this soup for lunch. It was delicious and all 3 of my teens gave it the thumbs up! I also tried the ginger soy chicken and that was fabulous. Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds so yummy! i love that you've added your favorite recipes to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:35 PM

    Get paint job! Totally KIZZ... You did a marvelous job and his costume is really cool!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin