Saturday, September 22, 2007

Scrap Stash Saturday

Morning everybody!

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I wasn't much feeling like it. I was in my craft room making lots of cards (yipee!), but didn't have the energy to actually post anything. I think it's because I was in a downer of a mood. Duh. I didn't shower (I just wanted to veg all day and not be responsible for putting makeup on and fixing my hair!), so that made me feel grungy. Note to self: shower just to feel better!!!!

Doug heard about a few job opportunities yesterday that sound interesting. For one of them the pay is just average, but it provides great benny's and a pension! Do some companies still offer pensions? I thought they were long gone! A collegue is speaking to the hiring contact today and will put in a good word for Doug. Another one would be on a contract basis, and he'll have coffee with that guy next week. This week was spent just getting his bearings as opposed to serious job searching. He'll start up with that next week. He needed to take a break from the rat race for a few days!

I was relatively lucky in the blind scrap pull yesterday! All four papers I dug out with my eyes closed were pretty much in the same color families. There wasn't anything too obnoxious to work with! Here are the papers I pulled......one is Christmas, one is Valentines Day, and the other two are pretty basic (one is plain, the other is a floral pattern with some "sewing" guidelines on it (Basic Grey). The only thing that really troubled me about these papers is the ruby red color of the flowers on the Christmas paper. The paper is bold and the flowers are bright, which conflicts with the burgandy plain paper.

To try and mute the brightness of the flowers, I sponged Rangers Distress Ink in Walnut Stain (it's really dark stain!) all over the paper to try and tone it down. It worked a TINY bit, but it certainly didn't turn the ruby red burgandy!!! Bummer. I hate when things don't work out the way I want them to!

Surprisingly, the card came together pretty quickly. The size of the card is 4.75x4.75". The very first thing I did was lay a square piece of the burgandy paper down in the bottom right hand corner of the card. The Basic Grey paper (the muted green floral with sewing guidelines on it) was already torn diagonally across the corner, so I made it my main paper, and laid it right over the burgandy paper, but you could see it peek through due to the torn corner on the Basic Grey. The next paper I worked with was the Christmas paper (also Basic Grey). I cut a small rectangle and laid it on top of the muted green floral (I first sewed a straight stitch border around it first and distressed the edges).

My main image, the Stampendous Agapanthas (? spelling) flowers, were stamped on Very Vanilla using Cranberry Crisp ink. I sewed a straight stitch around this image as well, and distressed it using Ranger Distress Ink in Tea Stain.

The word "Family" is from my brand new (before JL-"job loss") acrylic stamp set by....I can't remember who makes them! They come in a silver tin, with a see through top. There is no logo/lable on the box, so I can't look at it to find out who made them. How silly is that? It's a fall collection of acrylic stamps. They are really cool, but for the life of me, I have no idea who made them. I'm wondering if it's not Paper Salon? Strange.

The last paper I needed to add to the card was the Valentine's Day (Basic Grey-Blush) paper. I distressed this paper too to try and bring down the brightness of it, but it didn't work so well either! I decided to just cut two strips of the paper and lay one out vertically and one horizontally on the front of the card. That worked. The final detail added to the card was the ribbon. It sat for a while without the ribbon, but I really felt the card was missing something. You have to be careful when adding embellishments to these scrap cards because there is so much drama already with all the different patterns involved! In the end, I liked how the muted olive green satin ribbon looked. It wasn't too overwhelming.

I hope you like this weeks card. I just love the Scrap Stash Saturday challenge. It really stretches me, I hope some of you give it a try sometime! A huge THANK YOU is going out to my good friend Julee Tilman (Poetic Artistry) who sent me this RAK last week filled with Hero Arts Christmas birid images! This is the card Julee won the {Caardvarks} beaded card challenge with last month! Julee sent it to me as congrats for being invited to join the {Caardvarks} Design Team! How special is that? It's GORGEOUS, of course. We all know Julee doesn't make anything other than perfect cards! I feel so blessed to have received this card that Julee hand beaded! Thanks friend!

Hugs,
Amy

8 comments:

  1. I love all the cards that you post! You do such fabulous work. I've never sewn any of my cards. do you use a regular sewing machine? Any special threads or needle size?? I've gotta give this a try! (you're family is in my prayers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still amazes me that you can do this...you're awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Amy,

    You mention in a lot of your posts that you use Ranger ink all over your cards. Have you ever done a tutorial on this technique? If not, would you consider doing one? I would love to see how this is done.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just amazing Amy. I have the hardest time putting different patterened papers together on one card, but you make it seem so easy. I just love this card.

    I also wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and hope and pray everything works out for your family.
    I know exactly how you are feeling. We have been going on a bad streak with job losses for the past 6 years. We have moved twice in those years because of jobs and the last move brought us to Rochester, MN in May of 2004. The first move(from Michigan)found us in Wisconsin and it turned into such a nightmare of a year for us I don't even want to think about it, let alone talk about it. After moving to Rochester things were looking up for about a year and a half, but then, BAM!, last year in February 2006 my husband was laid off due to budget cuts. He was on unemployment for 6 months (which is all he could get) and has since continually been trying to find a new job,but no luck. He finally took a job at a grocery store (same one where I work)last October as an assistant manager just to make ends meet- (unfortunately the pay is nothing compared to what he made before and he really does not like the job at all). He still has not found anything else yet and believe me, there are days when I don't know what we are going to do. The bills keep piling up, but somehow we have managed to keep going and I guess we will continue to do so. I just take it one day at a time and try to be optimistic. But there are plenty of days when I would love to just crawl underneath a rock and stay there and hide.
    He did have a couple of interviews in the last couple of weeks, but we won't know anything for sure for another 2-3 weeks yet. I just keep hoping and praying that he will get this job.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a novel about myself here. Just know there are people out there that care and know what you are going through. I know my card making has helped me through a few rough spots in the past few years- there are plenty of days when I get up in the morning, don't take a shower, head over to my craft table and sit down and make cards and kind of forget about anything else.
    So, just hang in there, Amy and just take things one day at a time!
    (And sorry for the long post!)
    Hugs,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, Your Scrap Stash card is gorgeous, as usual!

    Someone probably helped you figure out who made the clear tin set...but I just looked it up at Eclectic Paperie. It looks like it's from the new Paper Salon clear tin- Fall Frolic set. http://eclecticpaperie.com/pasacltinfaf.html
    Does that look like the one??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy, these came together beautifully. I ordered a Janome Mini because I want to be just like you when I grow up! :) Glad you enjoyed the card I sent! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:37 AM

    Beautiful card. It always amazes me how you can put so many papers together and have it come out looking great. I have a hard time using one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:48 PM

    Your scrap stash card is awesome once again!! I am so amazed how you can pull the colors you do and put them together and it always turns out fabulous!!!
    Way to go!!
    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin