Friday, August 17, 2007

Garden Silhouettes

This is a card I made for my neighbor friend who's father recently passed away.

There are two firsts here....this card was the first time I used the Garden Silhouettes stamp set (I made this card before I made the card I showed you yesterday), and it was the first time I had used my new Janome Sewing machine, and it showed!

My oh my, the stitching is horrible! I was just getting the feel of the machine when I made this card, so my stitches are SO crooked!

The base card is Kraft cardstock. You'll be so proud of me on this one because I stamped MORE than I scrapped! If you look closely, the background is actually one of the Garden Silhouette flowers stamped on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock, randomly, with Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink in Creamy Brown. I knew you'd be impressed that I actually had the capacity to limit my designer paper usage for once:)! To age this piece, I rubbed it the my Ranger Distress Ink in Tea Stain. On top of that, I stitched one of my last pieces of my Cosmo Cricket Autumn (make note to self: re-order some of this fabulous Gretel line from Verve Visual immediately!) designer paper.

For the main image, I stamped the same flower that I used for the background, only this time I stamped it with my Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink in Chestnut Roan. Again, it's aged with the Ranger Ink. The sentiment, from the new Verve Visual Fancy Florals stamp set (which, by the way, you can pre-order right NOW for only $19.95....regular price will be $22.50. The stamps will ship out to you beginning 8/20!) was stamped with Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink in Creamy Brown. I stitched around the main image using a straight stitch for a bit more detail. The final touch was adding a brown and white polka dot ribbon around the card. It really makes the whole thing pop, dont'cha think?

Well, Eldest Son passed his driver's permit test yesterday morning and I took him to drive the car for the first time last night. The good news is I'm here to tell you about it. Praise God! Whew. The bad news is it's tough being a driving coach. And SOOOOOOOOO scary! Being the smart mom I am (!), his first practice session was at the middle school parking lot! At first he wasn't too thrilled with the idea (of course, he wanted to be out cruising on the roads), but by the time he was actually behind the wheel trying to maneuver a figure 8 around two light poles (so he could get the hang of turning), he was SO THANKFUL I took him there first! Be still my heart. My teenage son admitted that I was right for a change! The parking lot is very large, with lots of opportunities to practice his right and left turns, braking, parking, etc, that by the end of the session, he was actually doing pretty well. He was cocky a few times, but as a boy, that's to be expected, I guess. He actually said to me last night, after we were back at home, "hey, why do my legs feel so funny?" I'm like "hello, you were NERVOUS driving the car!" (he was so adamant while he was driving that he wasn't nervous at all. Yeah, right.) We will continue to visit the parking lot for practice until I feel he is ready for the open road!

My little noggin' is thinking about having a contest soon here at Heartfelt Greetings! What do you think???? Do you like the idea of another blog contest? I've never really done one before, but something I made last night got the old wheels-a-turnin' this morning. I'll give it some more thought today, and then if I decide to to it, I'll announce it tomorrow morning. That will give me some time to come up with a fun prize idea! Be sure to check in tomorrow morning to see what I've decided, ok? I promise this contest will have you designing something I'm sure you haven't made yet, and I'm fairly certain there hasn't been another blog contest like it yet. You will not be making a card, an ATC or altering anything, but you WILL be making something with stamps and cardstock, and even designer paper if you so choose......have I peaked your curiosity yet? Woo-hoo, I'm getting so excited....I think this would be so much FUN!!!!

Hugs,
Amy

18 comments:

  1. Oh... I'm dreading the whole driving thing. My son just turned 15 and I've been stalling about signing him up for the classes. This fall... I'll sign him up. Then maybe DAD will take him out driving.

    Oh... it makes my stomach nervous just thinking about it!

    Glad it went well for you!

    Hugs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... teenage drivers. I have to tell you my story. Everytime my boys (who are now 21 and 19) would get behind the wheel and go somewhere I would fret and worry and could hardly stand it. Then one day I decided to give it to God. I figured everything is in His time anyway and He could do a better job protecting them than I could. However, I could never stand to take them driving when they were learning. I would drive them batty trying to drive from the passenger seat. Dad had to do that. And he was gone for a year last year so my 16 y/o DD does not have her driver's permit or license. Poor thing. On a different note, now that I have rambled... I would LOVE a contest and I am so there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:00 AM

    what a pretty card.
    I remember learning how to drive in a parking lot. And I was learning on a stick shift to boot! Kudos to my mom. It'll be about 8 more years before I'm teaching my dd's to drive. Wishing your son a lifetime of safe driving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card, Amy! The stitching is NOT awful! I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Your card is beautiful. The ribbon really ties the browns in from everywhere. Your story about your son reminded me of when my dad took my twin sister and I to the parking lot of our country fair to learn how to drive! Memories!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oldest just moved out and I am missing the extra driver in the house- I am almost (but not quite) ready for my 15 yr old to start driving. Once they start doing errands, life gets so much easier! Did you say contest??? I love contest! Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Sounds like you had the same kind of lesson with your son that my dad had with me eons ago. (Gotta love those large, empty parking lots!)

    Your card is stunning. I am a big fan of those soft, fall colors.

    I will try to pop in tomorrow for your contest...I can't wait to see what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:54 AM

    My daughter has had a permit for awhile now - and really isn't that crazy about driving. But I remember when we first went out on the rode (after practicing in a parking lot too) that I had a permanent lean to the left. It felt like she was going to hit every car parked on the right side of the street! wouldn't you just love an extra brake on the passenger side?!?? Good luck - I am glad that I am still here too to write this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:21 PM

    I have a long way to go before the driver's permit...3 and 1...or at least that's what I think.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The card great. You did really well with the stitching. I haven't used a machine since, well, let's just say it's been a long time.
    And you are a great mom for taking your son out to practice. I dread the thought of it. But it would be nice to have my son run errands for me.
    jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:52 PM

    I really like this sympathy card. It's quiet and subdued appearance is so appropriate. It's a very handsome card!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty card. Driving sessions are never fun. About 6 years ago I tried to teach my hubby to drive a stick. I had an older sports car that didn't have a pin in the gearshift, so from time to time (especially when you grind the gears) the stick would pop out of the shaft. Anyhow, this happened during hubby's first (and LAST) lesson and he FREAKED out. To this day, he still can't drive a stick, so my cute little sports car is all my own! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm up for a new crafting experience! It'll give me something to blog about! hahaha

    have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Amy, the card is gorgeous! I am sorry you have to make cards for difficult situations so much lately!

    I can't even imagine the fear I will have once my oldest starts driving. Oh my! I have 3 more years before that will happen. Thank goodness!

    I like blog contests. They are always fun!

    Big cyber hug!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work - again. Yeah, driving. Hmmm. Well, my husband & I have a deal. Since we have 3 girls, I do "the talk" and he teaches them to drive. I've already started on my end and he's still got 3 to go. haha. I think I got the better deal. But, he is a good teacher - he taught me to drive. Here's hoping he's always safe on the road! And good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super beautiful card...me loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is very beautiful, Amy!

    My oldest is only nine...but I certainly feel for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:57 PM

    Ahh, yes the driving thing! Mine started in the church parking lot! Moms are so smart! Of course, they both got behind the wheel at school, so that helped. We all survived - they are now 21 and 19 (yesterday) and both passed their tests 1st time at 16. God gives grace!

    Oh, and I LOVE the card.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin