Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Fun

I submitted this card for a recent pub call, but it didn't get picked up! That's ok, it's a little on the wild side, and not executed perfectly (in my opinion), so I don't feel bad!! I had wanted to use some of my new DCWV Rockstar paper in a really fun way, and this is what my crazy mind came up with! It's a little out there! Rock on!!!!

Remember, you can WIN this awesome Rockstar paper if you submit an entry for my business card contest! The whole stack is FILLED with really cool, funky, cutting edge paper that would be perfect for the young teen rockers in your life!

To make my guitar, I freehanded a template and cut the guitar body shape out of a piece of dual sided red cardstock. Then, I used the same guitar template to cut the designer paper. To make it a bit smaller so the red cardstock showed through, I trimmed the designer paper about an 1/8 " less all the way around.

Adding the strings is where I went a bit wrong. I'm going to have to re-think this design somewhat to figure out how to make it look better. I couldn't figure out a novel way to attach the strings to the front of the card. As it stands now, I put a glue dot at each end of the guitar neck and attached the strings that way. Then I cut a small strip of cardstock to serve as the "bridge" of the guitar, and the "frets" of the guitar, which also serve the dual purpose of holding the strings down. The strings are just silver cording. The star behind the sentiment is something I freehanded a template as well. I stamped the sentiment on Real Red and then mounted it on a piece of silver metallic cardstock. The sentiment was then mounted on top of the star.

Again, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concept, but my execution needs work!

Don't forget, you have until midnight Saturday night to get your entries in. I recieved alot of entries yesterday, and am looking forward to seeing more today!

I've got WONDERFUL news on the Muriel front! I heard her SPEAK yesterday! Praise God! My husband was visiting with her at the hospital when they gave the trach contraption that allows speech a try. It worked! I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to communicate with her again! It's been at least 8 weeks since any of us has spoken with her. Her voice sounded a bit "electronic", but totally not in a bad way. Sort of husky like she just got out of bed and had a bunch of gunk in her throat. She talked perfectly. Fluid sentences. Like none of this had ever happened. She asked me right away how my mom was doing....etc. I can't really put into words how cool it was to actually speak with her again. It was somewhat surreal. The drs think that Muriel really has no concept how much time has passed and how sick she really was. How much of her life has passed by of which she has no recollection. Scary to think about, isn't it?

Well, today I get to have lunch with my Mom!! She is taking me and my other SIL out sort of as a pick me up for the bad summer we're both having. My SIL's mother has been very ill as well, and the majority of her care has fallen 100% on my SIL. She's fried beyond belief! I will bring my camera so I can get some fun shots of us while we're lunching. I don't have a lot photos of just my Mom on me, so that's the goal for today. Me and my Mom in a bunch of pics. Hopefully my SIL will take them for me!!!

Hugs,
Amy

15 comments:

  1. Love the guitar card! What a cool use of that awesome paper!

    Glad to hear things are improving with Muriel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card!! Very cool. Glad to hear about your MIL...that is great! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a Rockin' card. I love the concept. So glad to hear Muriel's taking some great leaps forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a blast! That card is sooooo fun. I love it. I am so happy that Muriel seems to be healing finally. What a wonderful thing to be able to communicate with her. And I am happy to that your mom seems to be on the mend also. Bless you both and have a great lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Card- even if it's not up to your standards :) I'm sure with a little tweeking it is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your guitar card is ROCKIN!

    Great news about Muriel, as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:46 PM

    The sun is finally shining for you. Love the guitar. Thought of Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband would love this card! He started playing the guitar about 6 months ago and just can't get enough of it. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is absolutely awesome! This is the kind of card I could give my son for his birthday. I would try putting the frets under the strings and maybe try stretchy silver cord for the strings. Good luck, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:55 AM

    Hey, this card ROCKED my socks off!!!
    (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) Don't give up on me(baby), I'm hoping to come up with a business card today! I'm a math teacher, school started this week, son's first varsity football game last night, daughter's cross country time trials this morning! I think I might find some time to stamp today(after I take a nap of course!)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful news about your MIL - thrilled to hear of her recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you have good news with Muriel. Hope you had a nice lunch with mom and SIL. LOVE this card. So creative. So teenage boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:21 PM

    What a fun card. Great news on Muriel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So wonderful to hear Muriel's improvement! That is such a blessing!

    Hope you had fun with your momma! I love momma time! I'm sure you got lots of great pics!

    Now onto this card! How cute is this!? I love it! The guitar strings rock!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin