Thursday, July 19, 2007

Live from Chi Town!

Hey peeps!

I am here sitting in the lobby of our hotel picking up some free WiFi so I can check in with my favorite blog readers. We made it to Chicago in 7 hours yesterday, and that was with 3 stops! I hardly even sped.

The hotel we are staying in is fabulous, except they booked us in a room with only one bed. They tried to blame it on CHA, but CHA knew it was their fault. The bad news is there are no rooms they are able to move us to. We are at the top of the list in case there are any cancellations during our stay. Ann and I plan on switching each night who gets the bed and who gets the hide-a-bed, which is horrible. Ann slept on it last night and nary got an ounce of sleep. Tonight's my night, so wish me luck. I definitely need my beauty sleep (I need all I can get, trust me) and I need sleep so I have enough energy to work the floor tomorrow at CHA!

Speaking of CHA, I took the hotel shuttle over to the convention center this morning to get my press credentials. Wow, is that place huge! There were people scurrying all over getting their displays ready for opening tomorrow. Today is primarily Education Day. That means they have technique classes that CHA members can sign up for and participate in. As a press member, I was allowed to stand in the BACK of the room where the class was taking place and observe what was happening. The highlight for me today was sitting in on a class being taught by NONE OTHER than Tim Holtz, master extraordinaire for the Ranger Ink product line! Tim is the Designer and Senior Educator for Ranger Industries. I got to the class after it was well underway, so I didn't get a chance to see what exactly they were making, but it entailed using his new Distressing Powers and Crackle Paints.

I haven't spotted any famous bloggers around town yet! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for them though. There are quite a few coming. On Saturday night we are having dinner with a bunch of bloggers and Craft Critique reporters. Guess who one of the guests will be at dinner that night? Taylor Van Bruggen from Taylored Expressions!! I am so excited to meet her. We've emailed each other a few times for swaps and the such and she is such a sweet girl! I promise to take pictures with the "celebrities" so you can see who I'm hobnobbing with here! Just kidding. They put on their underwear everyday same as I do! LOL.

Well, I'm signing off for now. Be sure and stop back tomorrow afternoon for my first real "report" about the show! I'm so excited!!!!

Hugs,
Amy

p.s. Everything with Muriel is the same. She is still sedated and receiving kidney dialysis every other day. I think they've discontinued all her antibiotics except one, the biggie. She was scheduled to go into surgery tomorrow to have her wound closed by a plastic surgeon (remember, when they went into the heart wound to clean the staph infection out, they kept it open in order for it to heal). Unfortunately, she developed a fever Tuesday (102), so surgery was cancelled. I am looking at the fever as a positive thing, because doesn't fever mean your body is fighting against an infection? The drs. have been very baffled she has NOT had a fever through this whole ordeal, which makes the infection harder to heal. So, I am hoping this is a good sign that her body is starting to fight. I totally feel better she won't be having surgery while I'm gone!

14 comments:

  1. Continuing prayers for Muriel -- and a great time for you at CHA while you're away. This is so exciting! I can't wait to read updates. Sleep well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't the 2 of you share the bed? I think after the first night you'd get used to it! Then you'd both get enough sleep to sustain you...maybe others will think that's weird, but I don't.

    I can't believe you get to hang with Taylor VB!! How cool!! Sounds like you're having a blast! I think you should eat at Giordano's Pizza as well, just so you know what real Chicago-style deep dish is supposed to taste like! Gino's is where the tourists eat...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooooo jealous, I wanna be hobnobbin with YOU... I really wish I could be there...sounds like you are ready to have some fun. (except the bed thingy - that is a bummer.)

    Enjoy tomorrow and make sure you give us the scoop on all the new patterned papers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope to see you on Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mean to sound gross but you better check if they left a sponge in her or something from before??? I just saw that on Oprah and it saved peoples lives. Just a thought. Her case sounds fishy. Plus my mom was a nurse and she was ALWAYS skeptical and she always gives this advice. Be PUSHY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome! Glad you made it safe and sound! I am pretty jealous about the class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:12 AM

    Boy, I think I am as excited as you are. I wish I could be there, and I only live 3 1/2 hours away.
    But I will see it through your eyes.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:15 AM

    I wish I could be there, and I live so close (3 1/2 hours).

    Oh well, I will see it through your blog.

    I am so excited!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kandi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I wish I could be there too ... I'm not a blogger but I am a blog fan and I would love to meet you and some of the others. Oh please do tell Taylor that Denise Lynn says hello! I'm a big fan of hers too and I've had the pleasure of chatting with her via e-mail a few times. I got in on one of her A Muse ATC swaps before we moved too.

    Amy be sure to take photos and tell us all about the fun and the folks you meet. i'm sure to be green with envy but that's all good really.

    Still lifting Muriel and your entire family in prayer too. Be safe as you travel and play - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:29 AM

    Not the ideal resolution to your problem but you might try putting the hide-a-bed mattress on the floor. That way you won't have the harware poking through in all the wrong places all night. I live in the Chicago 'burbs and hope your stay is wonderful. You'll need your rest to see even a fraction of our incredible city. The weather sounds like it will be wonderful--I know it's gorgeous today!--as opposed to earlier in the week when we had some wicked thunderstorms move through. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Sounds like quite an adventure! Have lots of fun!!! Can't wait to see the pics! I plan to check in every day to see all the exciting things that you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Oh I am so jealous of you being there - being able to see in person all the new "stuff" coming out. Have fun - Di

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...so good to hear from you...sounds so exciting. Wish I was there. Thanks also for the update on Muriel!!!
    Have fun, relax and of course TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm afraid my head would be spinning the whole time I was at the craft event with so many choices. Are there workshops just for card making or does this include scrap booking and all paper art? Are there any new techniques or embellishments that have caught your eye? Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin