Sunday, July 08, 2007

{Caardvarks} Tri-This Submission!


Yesterday's challenge over at {Caardvarks} 10 Day-10K contest was to make a tri-fold card! I have to tell you, participating in these challenges has been so much fun! I never make tri-fold cards, so this was the perfect challenge for me. It's so wonderful to challenge yourself now and again, did you know that? You end up accomplishing many things you thought you couldn't do, AND you end up feeling better about yourself. It's a win-win situation, and how many of THOSE do you run into on any given day? Uh, none. Usually.

I haven't made a baby card in a while, so this quickly turned into a baby card! I used my fun new polka dot paper by Cosmo Cricket (I think it's the Storytime collection and the pattern is called Jumpin' Joan). Isn't it pretty? Such fun colors. I paired it with some Perfect Plum cardstock. I also paired it with a piece of pink Basic Grey paper and some orange polka dot paper by Kaleidoscope (Friends Dots) and My Mind's Eye. The card opens to the right (the giraff panel flips up).

The round sentiment in the center of the card is from the $1 bin at Michael's. I cut it out using my Creative Memories cutting system (which I use nearly every day!). I outlined the whole verse with my Stardust Gel pen and then painted around the edges with So Saffron and my aqua painter. It is adhered to the right panel with Mono, and then on the left side of the sentiment I placed a piece of dimensional tape to keep the flap from opening. I thought about using ribbon, but there was really no place to add ribbon on this card that wouldn't overwhelm what was already there!

The b-a-b-y letters on the left of the card are also from the $1 Michael's bin. I stamped it with Versafine Black Onyx ink on the back of the Cosmo Cricket paper. I cut each letter out and then colored it with my Uni-ball White Gel pen. Each letter is also outlined with the Stardust Gel pen. The giraff is from my SU Bundle of Joy set. He's painted with So Saffron, Rose Red, Old Olive and Perfect Plum inks. He's outlined too with the Stardust pen.

I hope you guys like it. I'm pretty sure my little card will NOT be a winner in the Tri-This challenge. You have GOT to go over to the Tri-This gallery and see some of the CREATIONS that have been submitted. OMG. There are some BEAUTIFUL, jaw dropping cards in there. I mean drop-dead gorgeous. How the heck are they gonna be able to pick ONE winner out of all the amazing cards? That's gonna be one tough job for Jen and Sarah and the sponsor! Good luck girls! You sure do have your work cut out for you!

If you are interested, today's challege is called Four Square, and you need to make a card using 4 squares! Sound like fun? It is!!!!! Come play with us-please! We'll have a blast!

So.....I have to tell you a funny story that happened last night, and how I've obviously failed as a mother in raising my young sons. Well.....we took the boys to the horse racing track (Canterbury Downs) yesterday afternoon for some fun. Because of a contact the hubster has, we are treated to a beautiful table (in the clubhouse) covered with a white linen tablecloth right at the window overlooking the track. There are red cloth napkins at each place setting. We all sit down and take a look at our surroundings. The waitress comes and takes our drink orders, and during that time, I take my red napkin and place it on my lap, as does the hubster. I see that Eldest Son has unwrapped his napkin (it was wrapped around the silverwear, as typical) and thrown it on the table, unwrapped, in front of him. I guesture to him to put the red napkin in his lap (he's only 15, he's still a little--ok, a lot-unrefined in his table manners). He kind of shakes his head and indicates that he can't use it because--get this--because he's stuck his GUM in it to get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????????????????????????????????????? You've stuck your GUM in a CLOTH napkin to get rid of it????????????????????? My god, were you raised with a pack of wolves, boy? What are you thinking????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? OMG, I am so MORTIFIED at this moment that I want to crawl under the table so no one can see me and pass judgement on what just happened. I cannot believe MY intelligent, kind, smart nearly 16 year old son put his gum in a CLOTH napkin to get rid of it. It's official. I've failed as a mother. I must have missed the chapter in the Dr. Spock book that instructed me when to teach this very obvious lesson to my son. Thank heavens the gum had not been squished down into the cloth napkin and was easily removed with no damage caused to the napkin. But really, can you believe this actually happened? I would not believed it had I not seen the situation play out, in technicolor--right before my very eyes! I bet you are all in a fit of laughter right now reading my play-by-play rundown of what happened. You are clutching your sides, rolling with laughter, thanking your lucky stars this did not happen to YOU. Well, beware. It could. Just RUN, don't walk, over to your Dr. Spock book and re-read the chapter I so obviously missed!

Geez. What'a a mother to do?

Run for her life.

Hugs,
Amy

17 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, your card is adorable...You are rocking this challenge thing...good for you.

    You did NOT fail as a mom...he is a young boy/man and he will ALWAYS do things that you did NOT teach him to do...that's the joy of kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the funniest story ever. I better get on it then...my son is turns 5 in two days. Maybe if I start now he might get the drift *lol*
    Amy, you may have noticed I have added you to my daily dose. You my friend are FAB-O! I love your stories, your cards and your genuine nature. Thank you for making my day EVERY day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, that is too funny! And trust me, I think you're doing pretty good if one of the most embarassing things he has done to you is that!

    Great baby card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that $ bin at Michaels, get such great goodies, this card is great, love the baby letters down the side and the giraffe. If that is the worst fau paux your son does you are so ahead of the game

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEHE don't feel bad I failed at both tooth fairy and easter bunny. Horrible at both. I always fell asleep before I could exchange the tooth for a quarter and always had to slip it in the a.m. of which I was always caught red handed and then I had some splainin to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:00 PM

    Whew! Not to make you feel bad, Amy, but I just checked with my 12 yo son to make sure he answered correctly. Glad that's settled. But of course, I could list about a GAZILLION other things he'd do wrong if given the chance! (He's on the computer next to me, and wondered what the heck I was laughing so hard over!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy that is the funniest story in the world!!! My 14 year old daughter just read your post too and found it funny. I bet he'll NEVER do that again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, that's too funny! At least the napkin was salvageable, and no one else had to know what had happened. :)

    Love your baby card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could so see my 14 yo doing that exact same thing!

    Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I AM clutching my side, rolling with laughter!!! Of course it could happen to any one of us....so I'll laugh for now...until it happens to me...I have a ten year old son...so I am just waiting!!! Cute card too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny Amy!! I think no matter what we do as parents our children just pull out things sometimes just to throw us! I mean who could ever dream up some of the stuff they come up with???? :) Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great laugh! That brought tears to my eyes! :) Boys are such "different" creatures, aren't they??? I've learned even with hubby that the things I think are OBVIOUS no-nos, don't seem to bother him in the slightest! Love your baby card. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all I think your card is like all of your other cards.......gorgeous!

    I loved reading your story about your son. It was hysterical.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable baby card! Love it!

    Your story is so funny! I think my kids would do something like that. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids are at the age where they still pick up other peoples gum!!! Anyways... in November, we went on a Disney Cruise and on the very last morning at breakfast, I was talking to my sister-in-law and then looked down at the table... my five year old had pushed away his coloring page and had drawn a fabulous red stick-man on the white linen tablecloth with crayon! Guess he thought it was like Montana's where you're allowed to draw on the table!!! Cute card too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are rockin' your caardvark's submissions. This is so cute and I LOVE how you colored the giraffe.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin