Friday, July 13, 2007

{Caardvarks} 8 Is Enough

Cautiously optimistic.

Those are the words we heard from the surgeon yesterday after Muriel's surgery. Wow. 100% pure relief. You could visibly see my FIL and husband's bodies buckle in relief when they heard the surgeon's words.

The good news? The infection inside the chest cavity was not as invasive as they had been anticipating. They did NOT have to remove her sternum. They did open the heart wound fully (from the initial surgery), and cleaned everything out. They considered the damage very superficial in nature (which to the Dr. meant an inch or so deep, yikes). They only had to remove a little bit of bone that looked suspicious in nature. The wound now stays open, packed with gauze in order to heal.

She is in ICU. She is still intubated. They are somewhat assured that the infection is no longer in the blood, although 100% confirmation of that will not happen until she has at least 4 good blood tests in a row. The road to recovery is VERY long. We are not out of the woods. We know her body fights recovery slowly. But for now, we've got hope. She will never be the same, but we'll take what we can get.

Thank you for your prayers. I FELT them! God did answer our prayers. One for certain? Her surgery was moved yesterday from 530pm to 11a!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another? A successful surgery. He is so good.

After blogging early yesterday morning, I really wanted to make a card for the {Caardvarks} 10 Day 10K Challenge before I left for the hospital. The challenge (it was Day 8) was to make a card with 2 designer papers, 2 ribbon, 2 circles, and 2 stamps. Knowing it was going to be a stressful day for all of us, mostly my FIL, I made him a card that expressed how I was feeling. The card just flowed. There was no starting and stopping. No wondering what the heck I was going to make. It just came. And because it happened this way, I knew I wasn't supposed to give up on the {Caardvarks} challenge!

The papers are by We Are Memory Keepers. One of the stamps I used was from Penny Black (the sentiment), the other stamp was from Carte Postale. The two circles are front and center, and it's obvious where the ribbon is. The striped ribbon is from May Arts, I'm not sure where the other ribbon is from. I really like both the layout and the colors for the card. It's such a break from all the other cards I've created for this challenge, isn't it? But change is good. The colors I used obviously conveyed how I was feeling. I certainly wasn't feeling cheerful, so the brights I had been using this week wouldn't have been appropriate. See how much heart goes into my creations? This is precisely why I named my blog and my card business "Heartfelt Greetings". Everything I make I make with my heart.

It's as simple as that. This is who I am. And I'm proud of it.

Thanks again for all your loving prayers. I am so glad I had good news to share with you this morning!

25 comments:

  1. So, so relieved, as you all are too I'm sure. I've been waiting for your post. God is good.

    The card is simply perfect. Just perfect. Thank you for taking time to share your card & the update with us all out here in cyberland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card....I am glad to hear that your MIL is doing a little better....long road ahead...you and your family will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful card and it certainly conveys your emotions from yeserday. I am happy that you all heard some positive news, and will continue to pray for Muriel and your family. I find that being creative really helps to de-stress me, perhaps that is what the Caardvarks challenge is supposed to be doing for you! I hope it is helping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card and great news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's enough to lift the ol' spirits! God is so good - very true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PTL! We'll keep on prayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful new, so glad. Your card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:42 AM

    This card is Beautiful! I love it. glad to hear that everything went well yesterday! God Bless.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome news!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely! And I'm really glad to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Oh Amy, I was so fearful when you didn't pop in yesterday afternoon with news. What a relief to hear she is on the mend. It will be a long and tiring journey for everyone, but it is good that you have such a loving and supporting family. Your card is GORGEOUS!!! and I am going to case the layout today.
    hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful news Amy! So pleased to hear that! Beautiful card, love how you create from your heart. I will keep Muriel in my prayers for her long recovery road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy to hear that your MIL is doing better...she's been in my prayers! And your card is absolutely gorgeous. What an awesome talent you've been blessed with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:21 AM

    Yay for Muriel! I am so glad to read the good news - I know it is still going to be a long fight but with all our prayers she can do it!
    The card for your FIL is simply beautiful!
    I'll continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.
    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Wonderful news. Still in my prayers. The card is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so glad to hear that there's a possibility of recovery, however slim it may be. love the card too, and how much of yourself you put into everything you do. be good to yourself in the midst of all this stress, but don't pig out on cheez-its! not WW recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous2:06 PM

    I'm glad your MIL is doing better. I will keep her in my prayers. Life is too precious!! I'll also keep your FIL lifted up in prayer during this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear some good reports Amy! She is definitely in my prayers - as is your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:20 PM

    Amy, I also am not a blog responder, but had to comment today. never think about the favored odds, because we are always in God's favor, no matter what. I survived a hospital staph infection and it is a long recovery. The journey is worth the battle, and God is a warrior for all of us. I wish you and your family strength, and i wish Muriel the best recovery possible, knowing all things are possible with God. Deb N.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amy, I've been getting to know you through your blog, but I've never commented {{blushing in shyness}}. Thank you for your heartfelt sharing - both in your creative work & in your life. I just wanted to leave a comment to let you know that I also prayed for your MIL yesterday. As I prayed, I know that my God's grace will be sufficient for you & your family. I hope that you may feel His grace lending you the strength that you all need. May Muriel experience healing as only He can provide. Yours, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely card! I will continue to pray for Muriel and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card is absolutely devine.
    Thank you for keeping us updated.
    Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous8:22 AM

    PTL! And I love the card.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5:51 PM

    What an absolutely beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This card is absolutely gorgeous, Amy. Love the way you put your heart and soul into your artwork.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin