Sunday, June 03, 2007

Super Sketch Sunday #17

Morning! I've decided that if a sketch "comes to me" sometime during the week, I'll share it on Sunday's over the summer. But if it doesn't, I'll just go with the flow. I need to let my mind rest over the summer if necessary!

This week's sketch isn't exactly "pretty", and it isn't "traditional" in nature. Some of you will choose not to try it. It's sure to stretch you beyond what you think you can handle. But stretching ourselves now and again helps define who we are as artists. It helps us establish who we are and what we do. This sketch encourages you to step outside the safety net we've all created for ourselves that tells us a card should have a main image (square, rectangle, or circle preferable), some ribbon, and a sentiment (preferably off center)! This card has all these things (except ribbon, I guess), but just presents them in a non-traditional way.

Besides the sketch, I want to encourage you to make this a card for a teenager....a son or daughter, niece or nephew, or someone else equally as special to you. Make it a card that encourages who they are as individuals, and celebrates who they are at this time in their lives! Let them know how special they are to you. Lastly, MAIL the card. We don't tell these young people enough how important they are in our world. Most of the time, what they hear is nag, nag, nag. These kids are navigating a world none of us ever had to. At least let them navigate it knowing someone loves them and is there for them should they need help.


So, here's the card the sketch is based on! I made this using my Amuse Ipod stamp, which I got specifically to use for kids cards, and my new "you rock" sentiment, also by Amuse! Love that Amuse is gearing their stamps to young people! This is a company that is 'forward thinking'.

The paper is from Scenic Route, and lent itself to well to a "happy" card! I first matted the paper on Old Olive cardstock, and then adhered it to a Taken with Teal card base.

I actually drew my star on a piece of paper and cut it out to use as my template--I drew it exactly like a teacher would draw a star, and just cut around the outside edges. Worked like a charm! It's matted with more TT cardstock, and I cut around the edges using my tiny scallop scissors. I cut the tail of the star freehand, and then stamped it with my Impress polka dot stamp. "You Rock" was stamped in black ink down the tail. I used my oval punch in the lower righthand corner of the designer paper, and this is where I stamped my happy birthday sentiment, also in black. For the Ipod, I colored it using my H20 paints in a bright blue that matched the paper perfectly, and matched the blue Ipod currently for sale this summer! The dial and screen on the Ipod was colored in using my Sakura Stardust pen, to add just a little teenage 'bling'! I cut the Ipod out, and adhered it to the star using foam tape, where I had also stamped the Ipod image. It's such a fun teenage card, I can't wait to send it out!

I hope some of you play along with today's challenge. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the special teen in YOUR life!

Have a great day!
Amy

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:22 AM

    I just made star cards last night myself! But I used a different Scenic Soute paper...the bright green and pink that comes with the Laurel bird paper that you used recently. Yours is so cute. I also cut a big star out of a different patterned paper(the arrows that comes in the same Scenic route set) then didn't know what to do with it so I put it aside. I like your card alot! Thanks for the "Star" inspiration.
    Judy
    jtuttle@lps.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great sketch, Amy! I'd LOVE to play, but it will have to wait until I get back home. . .I miss my stamps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Your words are so true - gee if someone would have given me a card when I was a teen ... Oh I've got a lump in my throat just thinking about how it would have mattered to me even then, moods and all. Thanks for inspiring us to reach out to these very cool, sometimes confused in this crazy world, future leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Great sketch Amy! Can you believe I don't have any teenagers in my family. Austin is the oldest child of the "next generation". He won't hit 13 for another 1/2 year.
    I will have to ponder about your sketch while I am soaking up sunshine at the beach later. (if the weather gets a bit better)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great sketch and sentiment I will definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect card. I was looking for a card to make for my niece who is turning 7 but acts like 16. This is just what I needed! Love looking at your blog. You are one of my favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute! I love it! The paper is so cute with that ipod!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:28 PM

    I hope you gets lots of responses on your sketch. I just picked up the "blue ribbon" Sizzix die cut on clearance at M's the other day, so I'll be checking back here to see all the great cards. I probably wont get a chance to play though- its a busy last week before school gets out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting sketch. i have to make a bunch of birthday invitations and may try using this

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, Another sketch....You really challenged me on this one. LOL!!!
    But I did it. you will find it posted on Sunday 6/3
    http://stampnscrapwithpaula.blogspot.com. Thanks again for all the hard work you put into your blog. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fabulous card. I love the stars and the layout. Will have to think on this one a bit, but I'm excited about the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Great sketch. Love your card.

    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Very fun sketch. Here's my card that is for my DD who is 21. I may have to make another for DS.

    http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=574303&cat=500&ppuser=43494

    Melody
    (scs lacyquilter)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey girl! Your card is super cute! I just posted mine on my blog. I came up with it pretty quickly! I have so many nieces and nephews in my family and completely understand about trying to make them feel important! Teenage years are so hard sometimes!

    And just a side note, I always appreciate you taking the time to make these sketches to share with us! I absolutely love doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your sketch. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow when I get off work. I like the idea of sending a card or two to teenagers. They really do live in a different world now than when we were teens. They need to know we believe in them!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin