Friday, June 01, 2007

Flashback Friday!

I'm feeling better this morning! I'm so thankful. I ended up going to the doctor yesterday just to see what she thought. She is thinking it could possibly be my thyroid, so we'll see. I gave some some blood to check thyroid levels, check my hemoglobin and check for Lyme's Disease. That's the longshot, but since I live in a risky state for Lyme's, she decided to have that checked too. She says it has an insideous way of showing itself sometimes. So, I'll hear on the thyroid and hemoglobin today, Lyme's test should be back sometime early next week. I was shocked when I got on the scale and saw the number it read (I don't weigh myself). I was even more shocked when I saw that I had gained 15 pounds since November! I guess I wasn't THAT shocked, cuz I definitly feel it and have had to buy bigger clothes. But that's a big amount to gain. Another reason why the thyroid is suspicious. I mean, I don't eat THAT much to gain THAT much weight in such a short amount of time. I do not sit on the couch all day and eat bags of chips, cookies and candy.

Yikes. I hope the tests show something, cuz if they don't, that means I am going to have to eat NOTHING in order to not gain weight. Even the exercise isn't helping.

Oh well, enough on my life history. On to the task at hand. What is the task at hand? Looking at this ugly card I made last summer! What in the world inspired me to use Bashful Blue, Apricot Appeal and Pumpkin Pie, all on one card?? And there's that distressed edge rearing it's ugly head again! I can honestly tell you I have no idea why I used these colors. I'm NOT a big blue person, you won't find me using the color too much (in the summer I use it more). Pumpkin Pie is a favorite of mine though.

It's amazing how much you can learn and improve in a short amount of time. I am so thankful for SCS and for my blog (and all the blogs I frequent daily). You guys push me and inspire me to improve my skills each and every day!


With that said, here's how I would make the card if I was making it for the very first time today! Of course, I would use designer paper. Duh. Designer Papers R' Amy is what I should call myself (that's a play off of the toy store Toys R' Us!)! I dug around in my scrap drawer for paper for this card. It's so full I'm feeling guilty cutting into new paper unless it's absolutely necessary. So I found a piece of this beautiful black and cream Crate Paper sitting in there, and knew it was what I would use to start this remake.

Instead of using multiple colors for the card, I wanted only black, cream and lime green. The green dots under the Little Pieces stamps is Certainly Celery. Little Pieces is stamped in black. With a simple mat, it was ready to adhere to the front of the card. I added a cream ribbon, along with a black and white polka dot ribbon in the same location to match the one on the original card. It was really simple! I like how it turned out this time much better than before!

Ok, Flashback Friday cards are out of the way. I have to share with you something wonderful that happened yesterday. I was laying on the couch resting late afternoon yesterday when my son brought in the mail. I had recived two packages. One from my girlfriend who lives in Rigby, Idaho. We've been best of friends since we were about 1 years old! She is my oldest, dearest friend. Anyways, her and her young son Noah (Hi Noah!) made me hand made birthday cards, which were adorable and oh so special! They totally cheered me up! Thanks Chrissy and Noah!!!

The second package was from my friend Julee at Poetic Artistry (who lives in Meridian, Idaho!). Can I just say Wow. Wow. Wow. This crazy girl Julee sent me an UNBELIEVABLE card made especially for me, PLUS, some totally cool K & C designer paper called Happy Trails for my birthday! You guys, I wish you could see this card IRL with me. It is amazing. Every single detail....the doodling (perfect!), the marker border around the doodling (great idea!), and the shadowing around the image (is that why her online name is "shadowcatcher"?) is first class perfection. I am not blowing smoke here, peeps. Julee did an amazing job on this one! There are sparkles everywhere! This girl rocks!!! I just can't thank her enough for the paper and for thinking of me on my birthday! Hugs Julee!!!!

One last card to show you today. Obviously, even though I wasn't feeling well yesterday, I HAD to play with the new paper Julee sent me! I chose the beach themed paper, which was the perfect accent for my new sentiment stamp "Happy Summer" I bought a few days ago. I made some water using my CM cutting system. The beach ball is cut out of the paper and matted with Pumpkin Pie cardstock. I made the "path" of the ball with my Little Lady Paper Trey stamp set! Isn't that cute? Everything got a little sparkle using a Sakura Glitter pen. A few little "splashes" here and there pulled it all together. I knew I just had to share this one with you today! Hope you like!



Well, I need to get moving. Lots of stuff to do today. Errands, errands, errands. I hope I can make it through the day feeling ok. I already feel exhausted, so I'm crossing my fingers the dr. has an explanation for me. I'll let you know when I find out.

Have a great day!
Amy

20 comments:

  1. First and foremost, I hope you are feeling better soon! Second, happy belated birthday! Last, but not least- I love your beach theme card. The colors are great and the waves, splashes and "action" of the beach ball are oh so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Thanks for your transparency...not many gals would admit, even to their pals, that they've gained weight. Hope it's the thyroid, although that route's going to mean meds for the rest of your life. My dad and sis are on them.

    Here's a totally random thought that came to me while I was reading your post...why don't you design designer paper? You have a great eye, and I don't see why there shouldn't be papers with your signature in the marketplace! Don't have any idea how you'd go about that, but I'm sure you have contacts who could advise. What about Nicole at Papertrey? Anway, that's my thought for you. Thanks for your blog. I discovered it about 2 months ago and really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping for good results from the lab tests...it does sound like the thyroid...the weight gain (and the not sleeping well) are signs of that.

    Okay, your Flashback Friday card maybe wasn't the "flashiest", but I must admit, I LOVE bliss blue, appricot appeal, and pumpkin pie together...it is one of my favorite combos!!! I do like your remake so much more though.

    Your beach scene is amazing...you really have a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Flashback card! I would admit that the colors are something I wouldn't put together, but I like the card.

    And then your Flashback Redux is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you did with the new paper Julee sent you! Very cute!

    jan-gonestampin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your are feeling better soon, and it is nothing serious. Your Flashback cards are great, thanks love your Flashback friday's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:58 PM

    OK, Jenn in GA has an AWESOME idea, Amy! You have such an eye for color, patterns, and design!

    Love your redo of the old card. Definitely an improvement! I also love that summer beach ball card. Just adorable!

    Last thought on health. I hate to say it, but my body really changed when I hit 40, then again closer to 50. Moderate weight gain, spreading in the middle (which meant new clothes), on and off again fatigue, more difficulty making decisions. It's all a big jumble of hormone changes. I hope that's all that it is for you too. I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great card re-make you did, Amy -- love that paper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts that something gets figured out so you will feel better. I hate that you are so tired and lack of energy, altho, with the cards you make and the things you do, you seem to have no lack of energy. Bet you are pushing yourself. Let us know what the dr. finds out for you. Your cards are fantastic and this beach card is such a happy one. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I have LYMES!!!! It's a MN thing!!! teheeee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your flashbacks. It's so fun to see when you remake them. I'll have to see if my mom or sister still have any of the early cards I made, since I used to actually give every card I made away.

    Love what you did with the new paper. I've never used my CM system for water, but that idea just ROCKS!

    I was diagnosed with thyroid disease 10 years ago. I hope it's not the case for you. The weight issues and the sleeplessness are both tough battles that have never gone away for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope the Dr. gives you the news you are hoping for.

    I think your flashback card is very pretty. You updated one is definitely a WOW, though. Love it!

    Julee's card rocks! Lucky you. ;)

    Your beach card is so cute! Love the waves and water droplets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it! The layout of the card was fine, but I agree... the pumpkin was a bit much :)

    Has anyone challenged you to do a card that doesn't use DP!?? gasp! Maybe create some DP with your stamps like a one sheet wonder.

    I like Jenn's idea, too! Design some DP... that would be right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh Amy, I commend you for heading to the doctor right away. I sure do hope it's not Lyme's, because that can be an awful thing to battle. I also hope it's not your thyroid. I began feeling just like this after the birth of my first child 32 years ago and was finally diagnosed with hypothyroid when I was 20. For me the fatigue and weight has never been resolved and people with Thyroid issues usually end up with all sorts of other Autoimmune diseases. I'm one good example. I can't say I've had a day where I've felt really great in over 20 years! Please keep us posted and I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amy, I found your blog through Julee's...isn't she awesome? Anywhoo...I really enjoyed reading your flashback and remake of your card. I will be back for sure! Hope you feel better (((HUGS!)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, wow, I really like this beachball card! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I cannot help but comment. So many people are commenting on the thyroid issue and are making ot sound like having thyroid issues is a big deal. I found out 10 years ago that I had thyroid cancer and I had my thyroid removed. I have had no reoccurence since then. The chances of it coming back are so extremely slim. With my thyroid being gone it is like having hypo thryroidism. It is no big deal. I just get my blood checked regularly and they are able to regulate my medication that I have to take every day. The pill is so little and easy to take. It's really not a big deal. If you find you do have a thyroid issue I would suggest going to an endocrinologist if you can. I had been going to an internist here in Utah until I got married and moved to Indiana. They don't have Endocrinologists in the area I live. When I moved to Indiana I went to an endocirnologist and found that my medicine wasn't at the level it should have been. He corrected it and I never had any problems. I've had 3 kids now and they've easily been able to regulate my medicine accordingly. I'm living back in Utah where I was before and I have found a great OB who regulates my medicine and does a great job. Good Luck! Thyroid issues aren't as bad as people are making it sound.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amy, I love your remake card! I also like to beach card, it makes me wish it was actually hot enough to go to the beach today (being from MN myself the weather stinks today!)
    Julee's card is beautiful, you lucky duck!

    Hope you are feeling well Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Amy, I sure hope the doctors figure out what's wrong soon and you will feel better.
    Your cards are amazing like always. Love that card from Julee.
    Your Flashback is such a great feature. I am not brave enough to do that. My first cards are horrid! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your redo card ROCKS. So classy and modern. You've come such a long way so quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin