Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Try Something New Tuesday

Good morning!

The weather this spring has been so weird! Yesterday it got up to 92 (!) here in Minneapolis, but overnight a cold front moved in and now it's in the 50's! Brrrr. Had to turn off the air conditioning when I got up because it was cooler outside than it was in the house.

I was sitting at my computer this morning merrily purusing the blogs, when I suddenly remembered today was Try Something New Tuesday! Whoops. Brain fart. Totally forgot. I am going to try and excuse myself by saying I've been so busy and so overwhelmed I can't keep anything straight anymore. It's time I make a list outlining what day is what as far as my blog goes, and then tape it up on the wall right in front of me.

Needless to say, I had to get busy right away this morning to create something you would all like. I don't know if I achieved that, but I gave it my best shot!

I found the idea for this card in the new Paper Crafts issue for June/July. It's an acetate pocket card! Isn't it adorable? You can find the inspiration card on pg. 38 of the magazine.

I started out with a base card of Rose Red. Then I took a piece of Basic Grey paper and mounted it on a piece of Old Olive cardstock. For the pocket, I cut a piece of acetate and scored the edges of three sides about a 1/2 in. Then I folded the edges inward. These edges are what you put adhesive on to adhere the pocket to the card. Really try and flatten these edges well so they lay flat. Once I finished that, I turned the pocket over and stamped on the front with my swirls stamp from Fancy Pants (Pollen Dust). Since I don't have white StazOn, I used Whisper White craft ink, which didn't work so hot. I had to use my embosser to try and dry it, but it still didn't dry very well. There are some smudges on the acetate, but oh well. Kay-cera, cera.... ("whatever will be, will be....the future's not ours to see, Kay-cera, cera"). Yikes! Where did that come from? Does anyone remember where that song is from? Did Doris Day sing it? Does anyone else remember that song, or am I the only goofball that knows it? Sorry for that little lapse.....

Back to the card. When I was done stamping the acetate pocket, I adhered it to the front of the card using glue dots. I'm sure you can use tape as well, but I didn't have any. Once the pocket was done, I cut a card insert to fit inside the pocket. I glued a picture of a flower that I took a few weeks ago on the inside card, along with a sentiment saying "It's Your Day". This is what you see through the pocket window! Isn't it cute? I punched a slot hole on the card insert and then attached a green polka dot organdy ribbon for easy removal from the pocket.

A few flowers were attached to the front of the acetate pocket. The last thing I decided to do was sew a zig zag stitch around the perameter of the card for a bit more detail. That totally completed and enhanced the final look of the card. I am really happy with how it turned out.

Well, it's time to wrap it up for today. It will be a busy, busy day. It's my baby's actual 13th birthday today (we had his party last Friday....see Saturday's post for details on that). I cannot believe it's been 13 years since I gave birth to him. He is growing into such a fine young man. He's kind, loving, and so self sufficient. Jeepers, the kid can clean a bathroom, make his own eggs and toast, and build furniture (pre-fab) like a true champion. He's got a great sense of humor and still likes to snuggle with me. What more could a Mom ask for? I have to go shop for his present today. Hopefully I'll be able to find what I'm looking for. Tonight he's got a game, so no presents will be opened until after that. Poor guy, having to wait so long!

I met a fellow blogger "online" this morning. Her name is Jen Allen and her blog is called My Stampin' Spot. This morning, she sent me an email asking me if she could put a link to my blog on her blog. When I went to check out her blog, I loved what I saw! This girl can stamp! She's got a very unique style sense, one I find difficult myself to accomplish. The most exciting thing I learned about Jen is that she just moved to Munich, Germany! Yikes! Her husband took an international assignment from Microsoft, so they'll be there for a few years! She's got two little ones along for the ride, so obviously, things are quite stressful right now as they await the arrival of all their belongings. Please stop by her blog today and give her some stamping love!!!!!! She's new to blogging, so I'm doing what I can to help her out by introducing her to all my blogging friends! Go see her today! You'll put a smile on that adorable little face of hers!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Amy, you are killing me! Of course we like it! You are so creative. Now I have to try that AND still work on your sketch challenge from Sunday!
    Your card is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant Amy...love the lusciousness of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful card, love the paper and the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. So very rich looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GORGEOUS card, Amy! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:40 PM

    Love the pocket idea - and what a great card!

    And because I'm a trivia buff... Doris Day sang "Que Sera Sera" in "The Man Who Knew Too Much," an Alfred Hitchcock film with Jimmy Stewart. Now I have that song in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you try something new EVERY Tuesday. And look at how well it works out for you. This is wonderful! Very cool idea. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:07 PM

    This is TOO cute! I have some acetate laying around--that I found on a package that I received and intend to recycle, thanks to your tip--and I'm going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:10 PM

    okay...this is so over the top...I wanto to run up and make one of these NOW...how you get all those details to come together...you really have a good eye for design! I stopped over at Jen's blog...it is great...thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin