Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tuesday Tip of the Day..or not

I think I might be changing the Tuesday feature. Believe it or not, I can't come up with any really exciting tips to share with you today. How bad is that? I must have a brain block as far as tips go, I guess. The question is, what could I do instead of Tuesday's Tips? That is the question of the day....


Do you know what I want to be when I grow up? I want to be a designer paper name maker. You know, I want to be the person that comes up with all the fun names for each of the paper designs in a collection. For instance, in the Basic Grey Scarlett's Letter collection, they have designs called "Letters to the World" and "Fare Thee Well". In the American Craft Ala Carte collection, they have paper called "Lentil" and "Quiche". How in the world are they coming up with these names? I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure neither of these designs looks like a lentil or a quiche. At least not whenI looked at them. You decide for yourself.....does this paper design look like a lentil to you? How hard could the job of designer paper name maker be if all you have to do is look at something and make up a name that totally does not relate to the design at all? Here, let me try pretending that this paper is not already called "Lentil" and let me choose its name instead....how about "Peas", or "Brussle Sprouts"? That wasn't so hard. Now, if I needed instead to try and come up with a name that FITS the design, how about "Blowing In The Wind" or "Floating Foliage"? If you ask me, I'm a shoe-in for a job as a designer paper name maker! I can't wait to tell my hubby of my new vocation ambitions:)!!!



All silliness aside, I suppose you want to see what sort of card I'm going to share with you this morning, uh? Well, yesterday was my lucky day because the Big Brown Truck visited my house! It brought me Doodle This and Doodle That, and Bundle of Joy. Woo-hoo! I cut those babies out and had them mounted in no time! First I made some boy cards with Bundle of Joy, but I'll share those with you tomorrow. The next set of cards I made I used Doodle This! I was inspired by a card that Julie (Stampin With Julie) made yesterday using her set. She used a different designer paper for each leaf and I loved the look. Instead of using different paper for each leaf, I used only one paper,and then cut them out and mounted each one with foam tape and applied to the front of the card. All I did was stamp the flower once on the designer paper, and once on the purple polka dot paper that was used for my background. Then I cut each leaf out and mounted it to the purple polka dots with foam tape. I used a purple flower jewel for the center of the flower. The swirls, which I used as the "leaves" of the flower was looking a little boring all by itself in the bottom corner of the purple paper. So I stamped the swirl image on the same designer paper I used for the leaves, and cut out just the small scallop that sits on top of one of the swirls. I mounted it to the purple paper with glue.


This card was SUPER EASY, and I love it. It's another one of those cards that just makes me happy by looking at it cuz I love the colors! I can't wait to make more of these today.


I have to start thinking about my Crafty Ladies retreat that I'm going on this weekend! It's at my church retreat center, and it's from 3pm Friday through 8pm Saturday night. You just bring your craft and work on it all weekend! I plan on getting lots of cards made! Deciding what to bring is going to be the hardest thing to decide between now and then......


Have a great day everyone!!


Amy

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:08 AM

    This card is super! I love the idea of using different patterned paper for the petals! Cool...

    Tuesdays are Technique or Tutorial days for me...I really like your tips though. I have used almost every single one of them...please don't stop sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy-please don't publish this comment! I just wanted to say, we farm up here in Canada, and we actually grow lentils, and that paper is called that because they are actually lentil leaves! What a funny plant to use for designer paper though! I love the colours of it. I also absolutely love this card with the different paper for the flower and doodle part. You are so inspiring! My spring mini stuff doesn't come till later this week--boohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the smile! I always thought a cool job would be to make up the names of the paint chips! My living room in my old house was "toasted marshmallow"--tell me that the name didn't have something to do with me picking that color! LOL!!

    Pretty card!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your tips and your talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card Amy! I love the papers you used and the little jewel center! Thanks for linking to my card too - what a surprise it was when I checked your post to see my name!! You made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL about the paper name titles. That's pretty funny. Julie just connected me to your blog today. It is beautiful! Love your doodle card too! Mr Brown will be bringing me my Doodle That tomorrow, and my Doodle This and Bundle of Joy next week. I can't wait. My mailman will hopefully have some Bella's for me by the end of the week. BTW did you get any yet? Need any mailed? PM or email me if I can help! scs=basilefamily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card! Don't ya just LOVE Doodle This and Doodle That?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Amy - You really do have a nack for naming papers! That would seriously be a fun job!!
    Imagine the teachers reaction when she asks the kids "what does mommy do for work?". Kids reply, "she names paper". Teacher thinks "huh!". I can just invision her scrunched up confused look. ROFL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for making ME smile with this terrific card! :) This is one of the prettiest cards I've seen yet with Doodle This! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:52 AM

    Love the comments about paper names and the excitement we share about the brown truck, it gave me a good chuckle this morning. I enjoy visiting your blog. Your cards are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute! I really like the paper piecing!

    I know what you mean about wanting a job like that! Wouldn't that be the life! I bet the real perk would be to get all of your named paper for free!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin