Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tuesday Tip of the Day

I just found this great analogy/tip and I thought it would be worth sharing with you for Tuesday's Tip of the Day!

Today's tip comes from a website called RubberStampMadness. It's actually a rubber stamping magazine available for subscription (another magazine I'll have to consider adding to my collection:))! They tell us to do this when choosing colors:

"Consider the gallon-quart-pint theory of color when designing art. Choose three colors you want to use, perhaps consulting an artist’s color wheel for guidance. The “gallon” is the color that takes up the most space. Then use a “quart” of a contrasting color, and highlight the art with a “pint” of the third color."

I think this is a great tip! Let's analyze my card today and see how I did with the Gallon-Quart-Pint theory of color choice....mmmm, it might be a little hard to do with this card. Do you think maybe I seem to have chosen the "Gallon-Gallon-Pint method for my card? Hee-hee. I would say definitely that purple was my Gallon choice. Orange seems to be a pretty predominant color as well, but maybe not quite as much? I think maybe I could catagorize orange as my Quart color, because it definitely contrasts with the purple. And, I would say the Very Vanilla is the Pint color because it brings highlight to the overall card. Gosh. I just might have achieved this Gallon-Quart-Pint theory and I didn't even make this card with the theory in mind (I choose today's Tip of the Day just this morning because I forgot all about today's feature, and I made the card this past weekend!)! This just might be a theory worth keeping in mind when I make my cards from now on! It seems really logical and just might make the process of selecting colors so much easier for all of us!

The Hero Arts flower stamp is making another showing today, just had to pull her out and use her again. The Basic Grey paper just screams FUN, and the flower stamp screams FUN too. They are perfect together. Couldn't resist the temptation, and my guess is, you guys won't mind:)!! I covered a piece of Lovely Lilac cardstock with the striped Basic Grey paper, and then put a coordinating piece of Basic Grey paper horizontally across the middle. Since the colors are so similar, the coordinating piece didn't stand out so well on it's own. To solve that problem, I used some of my new purple polka dot ribbon to frame out the coordinating paper to make it stand out more. The flower image is stamped Whisper White in Lovely Lilac ink and then matted with Pumpkin Pie cardstock. After I cut around the matt with my scallop scissors, I attached it to the front of the card with foam tape to make it pop. Couldn't resist the temptation to bling it up a little with a purple jeweled flower placed right in the center of the flower! Bright, colorful, and cheerful. Just the recipe for a cold, winter's day!

Have a great one!

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome analogy! I am going to try some cards today using this method. Thanks for the great tips! (Stunning card - bright and cheery)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great card! Thanks for posting that tip, too - it's a good thing to keep in mind when making a card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that hero arts stamp... I need to go shopping!

    I'll have to examine my cards for the gallon, quart, pint theory. It is a great rule of thumb!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin