Saturday, March 03, 2007

Scrappin' Saturdays

I'm introducing another new feature today for you!


On Saturdays, I'll focus on using only scraps to make a card. I actually love it when I get to use paper from my scrap pile! I have a plastic shoebox that sits right on top of my desk that houses all sorts of designer paper scraps for me to choose from. The scraps I throw in this box can range anywhere from 12x4 to 2x2 inches. It's just the easiest way I've found to house smaller pieces of designer paper. Since it's right there next to me, I'm apt to look here for paper first rather than start a new piece of paper. Many of you know that I don't like to typically make more than 4 of the same card, so I often have larger chunks of designer paper left over. That's why I have bigger pieces in my scrap box! For plain SU cardstock, I put the scraps in the same file folder that houses the full sheets of cardstock. This way, I always look for a scrap that works for what I need before cutting into a new piece.


For this card, I used a black and white piece of scrap designer paper, as well as a scrap piece of Very Vanilla for the main image. I forgot to mention that I also have a box right next to me that houses all my Whisper White and Very Vanilla scraps, because I use these two colors all the time! The brown cardstock surrounding the main image was a scrap too! I love being thrifty!


On a different note, I am experimenting with photographing my cards, I hope you can tell! The way I've been photographing them lately has been screwing up my colors. This is my setup now.....I bought a cheap piece of muslin yesterday at the textile outlet. I have a file cabinet right by the wall, so I taped the muslin up on the wall, and then draped the rest of it on top of the file cabinet. Rather primitive, uh? Then I threw a few primas on top of the muslin and set up the card. "Staging" your cards is really the "in" thing to do now, so I had to jump on the bandwagon and try it out. I like it! So far, I'm pleased with the results of my newest photography experiment. I hope the pictures are better for your viewing pleasure too!

This morning I hope to get some stamping done. I got lots of cards made this week, I'm so happy! I want to get a few more made and then I'll be ahead of the game for a little while. Later on tonight, we are meeting friends for dinner and then we're going to see the new movie Amazing Grace. I heard it's supposed to be really good! Has anyone seen it yet?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Ooooo! I think you have neater scraps than I do! : )
    Such a pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Such a beautiful card! I'm such a sucker for stark contrast of color, especially black and white! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with only scraps! And the photograph is very nice, I do like the "staging", it is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card. I love how you tied in the tan with your flower. This card really is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful card. i love how the brown mat makes it pop

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this card and I love the way you "stage" your photos... I gotta get the hang of taking better pics...thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:38 PM

    I had to leave a comment on a GREAT card. Love everything about it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin