Saturday, March 24, 2007

Scrap Stash Saturday!

I'm not really sure where in my brain I pulled this design from! It's so not like me. When it was finished I sat there staring at it going "who the heck made this?" I do know I got the idea for cutting out the BABY letters from Michelle (Twisted Chick), from a card she made a while back. But beyond that, an alien took over my mind for a 1/2 hour period and this is what it came up with!

I started this card with the intent of it being my Scrap Stash Saturday card sample, and also for Friday's SCS Limited Supplies Challenge. You were suppose to make a gender neutral baby card! Such a great idea! So, I dug deep into my scrap stash and came up with these bright colorful scraps. As per usual, I pushed the edge when it came to patterns! I love it! I saw a card the other day by StampinMatilda on SCS. It was a cake card she made with scalloped layers. I loved the idea, so I adapted it a bit (hers was very elaborate, mine was very simple) and took 1 inch strips of the different papers I chose and cut along one edge with my scalloped scissors. Then I layered them, starting from the bottom of the card and went up to the top. I totally LOVED how this looks and plan to use the technique again soon. What a great way to use up those pesky scraps overtaking your stamp room!

The BABY letters are from of the $1 Michael's stamps. I stamped the sentiment in black onto a scrap of the light blue polka dot paper, and colored in the center of each letter with a white market. The SWEET, LOVED, and BLESSED sentiments are from the SO VERY stamp set. Each of these words is matted with the light blue polka dot paper, and are laid on top of one skinny vertical piece of the blue/red polka dot paper. I wanted the card to read "a baby is....sweet, loved, blessed". So, I needed a way to bring the word "is" into the picture. I took my scallop Cuttlebug die and layered two different sizes together in coordinating solid color cardstock, and then hand wrote "is" on it. I put one of these scallops next to each describing word.

In the end, I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the papers/colors together! Not so crazy about how the design turned out, but oh well. You win some, you lose some, right? Like I said, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and see where it takes you!

Yesterday was a GORGEOUS day here in MN! It was in the mid 60's (the norm this time of year is 40), so I wanted to get outside with my new camera, the Nikon D40, FINALLY! It's too cold here in the winter to bring it out, so I've been waiting for just the right day to take some shots. My youngest was playing basketball in the driveway yesterday, so I took a few shots (98!) of him doing his stuff. Here's how one of them turned out.....this is a great camera, if you're in the market, I highly recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I love the colors and papers in your baby card. I think it would make a great birthday card for some of my nieces and nephews...at least those with shorter names:).

    I also love the picture of your son. My son turns 23 in a few weeks. Sometimes I miss the younger days.

    I'm looking forward to the Super Sunday sketch tomorrow. I'm working now with sketch 7 for my Easter cards.

    Thanks for sharing your talent,
    Kathy (zebra card)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These colours are super together, what a fun non-traditional baby card!

    Super action shot of your son. My oldest child and only boy will turn 10 in June. It floors me to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:52 AM

    What an amazing shot of your son! Now we need to see a scrapbook page made with that wonderful photograph of your handsome son!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin