Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tuesday Tip of the Day




Color is the key to making your cards look amazing! For some people, it's not so easy picking out colors that "go together", so I hope to give you a few tips today that might make this process easier for you!

Typically, choosing a designer paper is the first thing I do when I'm ready to make a card. From there, I choose the matching cardstock and ink to bring the project together. The paper is typically my "inspiration piece". To successfully decorate a room in your home, it's often best to start off with an inspiration piece to get the ball rolling. When I did my kitchen a few years ago, I found this beautiful chip and dip hand painted bowl that I used to as the jumping off point to complete the kitchen. I painted fruit on the walls that matched the fruit on the inspiration piece. I bought placemats with that same fruit motif. You get it. One little bowl started the ball rolling. That's what designer paper does for my cards! Maybe for you it's some beautiful ribbon you recently bought!

Different colors are often synonomous with different events. For instance, pastel colors are great colors to use for your Easter cards and baby cards. White, silver and gold are colors you might use for anniversary cards, or major birthday milestones. Bright colors can be used for many events; birthdays, major celebrations, etc. Bright colors are the colors that often evoke happiness, fun and joy! Reds, purples, bright yellows, hot pink and orange can really make your cards speak to others! Finally, there are the trendy colors. By that I mean, whatever colors are hot in the marketplace around you--right now brown and aqua is trendy, as is celery green and pink. Trendy colors are perfect for party invites, birthdays, or thank yous. They might not be such a good idea for a sympathy card! For this card, I first chose my designer paper, then I looked for a coordinating cardstock (I looked at both Cool Caribbean and Tempting Turqouis but thought the TT looked better with the paper). Ink choice was next....I wanted the flower to stand out from the cardstock, so Pink Passion it was. The center of the flower is Certainly Celery and picks up the green in the designer paper as well! When it came to choosing the coordinating ribbon, I actually chose two; one was pink and white polka dot, the other was turquois and white polka dot. You are seeing the pink and white polka dot card because when I made one of these cards with the turquois ribbon, it didn't stand out at all because it was right next to the TT cardstock. Pink looked so much better!

Obviously, you can use any color you want on whatever kind of card your making. We can't box ourselves in too much with what's "right" or "wrong". Do what makes you feel good. But before you start crafting, try and find an inspiration piece that will help you pull everything together. Again, it can be the paper, it can be a ribbon, it can be a napkin you used at Aunt Sally's 65th birthday party! But use that one inspiration piece to help you pull together coordinating cardstock and ink that will make your finished card shine!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:12 AM

    Gm and thanks for all the color therapy! great card and the flower looks like it has a smile on its face...tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us! Love your card BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. I love your paper.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin