Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Julee's Sketch Challenge

First things first, as I know you are all patiently waiting to hear how my mom is doing....the angiogram yesterday turned up nothing new, so that's the great news. There was no blood clot and no other blockages. Her pacemaker was firing every heartbeat for the past few days instead of only when the heartbeat is below 90, as it's programmed to do. So that was recalibrated by Medtronics. She went home last night with orders to lose weight and use her CPAP machine, which she is stubbornly refusing to start using again. I've got my work cut out convincing her she has no choice but to use it as the doctor ordered. Thank you for your prayers, as usual, you guys were quick to lift me when I needed you!

Last night I was inspired to participate in yesterday's SCS color challenge! I loved the combination (kudos to Emily) of Old Olive, Purely Pomogranate, and Pretty in Pink (at least I think that's what the combo was....). I saw Beate's card in the SCS gallery and that is what inspired me to give it a go. OM word, her card was stunning! I also decided that for my layout, I was going to use Julee's sketch for her sketch challenge contest she's currently got going on! I haven't participated in one of her challenges all summer, shame on me!

I love how the card turned out, these colors together rock! PP and OO are two of my very favorite colors. I started out with a 5x5 cardbase of OO. I stamped it with my Canvas BG stamp in OO as well. The patterned paper I used is from the Basic Grey Infuse line. Can you believe this is the very first time I've used Infuse? I consider myself a Basic Grey fan, but for some reason, this line doesn't move me all that much. I cut a big panel of the Infuse paper and distressed the edges with my Heidi Swapp edge distresser. Then I stitched around the edges with a zigzag stitch. I took a smaller piece of PP paper and stamped it with the pattern stamp from the Oh So Lovely stamp set. I sewed this panel directly to the OO cardstock (on the right side of the card) using a zigzag stitch. I laid the Infuse paper on top of this panel to the left.

The main image is actually 2 flowers from Oh So Lovely set. I stamped it both numerous times on a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock. I painted them with my aqua painter and Old Olive, Purely Pomogranate, and Pretty in Pink inks. I aged the image with my Ranger Distress Ink in Tea Stain. I matted the image with Pretty in Pink cardstock and then sewed a straight stitch around the edges. It's mounted to the front of the card (on top of the Infuse paper), with dimensional tape.

The sentiment is from Hero Arts. It's stamped with ColorBox Fluid Chalk Ink in Chestnut Roan on Paper Accents Pearlized paper ( from Verve) in Cream. I punched it out with my 1 1/4 inch circle punch and distressed it with Ranger Ink. I mounted it on Pretty in Pink, and then distressed the edges of the paper. It's mounted on a scalloped circle that was punched out of Old Olive. I mounted it on two sides with dimensional tape and glue on the other side that attaches to the floral image.

Isn't it purtyyyyyyyy, if I do say so myself? Thanks to Julee and Beate for their inspiration!

Today I'm going on a business boat cruise on Lake Minnetonka! I haven't been on a boat cruise for such a long time. And it's going to be beautiful outside! Woo-hoo, I think I lucked out. Things are getting really busy around here this week. I'll miss my youngest son's open house tonight at school because I'll still be on the cruise, and my oldest son starts choir practice at church tonight as well. He ended up going to spend the day at his grandparents house, as they live right across the street from church. Youngest son has football practice this afternoon from 230-430p. I had to finagle a ride home for him from that cuz I'll be gone and hubby will still be at work! Tomorrow is more of the same. My son marches in the band tomorrow night for the first big high school football game of the season! I can't wait, I love watching all 350 of the kids march. I think I'll bring my camera and take some shots to share with you guys!

I've got a few fun things to share with you. One I can tell you now, the other I can't tell you until I'm given the ok, so sorry to have to leave ya hangin' girls!!!! I have been asked to be a discussion group leader for my BSF bible study group for the upcoming year! Wow, what an honor, but what a huge undertaking as well. It's such a scarey thing, I don't feel qualified to do it, but God tends to equip us with what we need to do the job should he call on us to serve. So, I just have to trust he'll give me what I need to be successful in this new journey. Trust and obey, there's no other way.

Have a great day!
Hugs,
Amy

18 comments:

  1. Oh Amy, I just read yesterday's post (and today's...) I am SO sorry to hear about your mom...how scary! Although today it sounds like things are going better. My thoughts and prayers are always with you hon.

    Your card today is stunning! I am definitely going to use those colors together. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:26 AM

    I LOVE the new colors on your blog! I love your cards and you inspire me to try differnt things. Your family is always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:43 PM

    i can't think of anyone MORE qualified to be the years Bible Leader, for your Faith is amazingly comforting, strong, and wonderful! God knows what He's doing, that's why they chose you.
    Your mom is safe in her faith, safe under you and your dad's care, and safe in our prayers.
    glad to hear all went well.
    janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:49 PM

    Your card is great!! That's great abot your mom and BSF!! BSF is a lot of work for a "student" but I am sure you can handle it esp. since God has celled you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what a gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with you in working with your mom and her CPAP but I am glad to hear her angio showed no change.

    Your card is absolutely stunning! You took the colors and layout and made is truly a work of art of your own. Your image is just beautiful!

    Hope you have a great time on your outing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:23 PM

    I don't think your card is pretty - it is gorgeous!!! Love the look of your new blog banner and colors!

    I'm just catching up with yesterday's post about your mom. You must have been a wreck worrying about her. Glad to read that things are looking better today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:46 PM

    Hooray for your mom. Now if she will just obey the doctors orders. What a great thing to be a BSF leader. It does also carry a huge responsibility, but as you said the Lord will hold you up. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that mom is okay! :0)

    Beautiful card! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:00 PM

    This is a lovely card! Love the new look of your blog and your picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is stunning, Amy!! I love the sewing and distressing you've done.

    Good news of your mother's condition. I hope you are able to coax her into taking the Dr.'s orders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers! Your card is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy I'm so glad that your Mom is doing better today. It's so hard to go through health scares with our loved ones. I'll keep her in my prayers.

    Your card is beautiful! Enjoy your boat cruise on Minnetonka, you have a perfect day for it! It was nice to see the sun today after all the rain we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is just beautiful Amy! I just realized that though I read your post this morning, I didn't actually comment. I love the colors, the images, the distressing and the stitching. YUMMMY! So glad to hear your mom's angiogram went well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad to hear your mom is doing better! Always thinking about ya! Your card is absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card Amy.

    You sure do sound busy! Have a great time on you cruise today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you're mom is doing better! I'll keep her in my prayers.

    This card is gorgeous! I love the color combo! I just love Julee's fabulous sketch! Your new blog template rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our prayers are with you and your family! Your card is gorgeous! Hugs Amy!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin