Monday, September 17, 2007

Makeover Monday!

On your marks, get set, GO!!!!

Run, don't walk, to your nearest Michael's this afternoon to pick up my latest makeover item! I can guarantee you aren't going to want to miss picking some of these up for yourself! For just $1, I got 12 gift cards, 12 envelopes, AND a handy-dandy gift box. What's not to love about this steal?

Want to see it? Ok, I won't hold out any longer. THIS is what I bought yesterday at Michael's for one buck, with the thought of making them over into adorable little micro mini cards perfect for attaching to holiday gifts, or tucking into your sweeties briefcase before he leaves on a business trip! These are Mary Engelbreit mini note cards. They come in packs of 12 (12 cards/12 envelopes). I'm always on the lookout for mini-envelopes, so I was super geeked at the thought that even if I didn't want to use the notecards, for a paltry $1 I had 12 mini envelopes in my hot little hands! For that alone, the $1 was well spent!

I thought I'd makeover the mini notecards with a Christmas theme. These would make great teacher gifts! So I started rummaging through my holiday paper from last year and settled on last years Basic Grey collection. I had lots of scraps leftover, perfect for covering these little mini 3x3 notecards. On a little shopping spree I took Saturday afternoon, I was lucky enough to score the new Hero Arts mini Christmas sentiment stamps (in a package of 4), and I was excited to be able to use those on my mini's!

I wanted to keep the cards very simple, so I stayed away from doing anything too elaborate to the mini's. Just a simple sentiment on the front of each card, and that was it. I used three different paper patterns and covered 4 cards with each. Each grouping of 4 had a different sentiment on the front as well. The sentiments were stamped on SU kraft paper. I stamped them in Versafine Archival black ink and distressed the edges with Ranger Distress Ink in Walnut. Then I mounted them on scallop squares punched out of the Basic Grey scraps. All sentiments were mounted using dimensional tape to the front of the card. Because of this, I couldn't fit all 12 cards back into the clear box along with the envelopes. So, I put 6 cards in the box (2 of each design), and wrapped a red organdy ribbon around it so it looked all purty and sweet! The other 6 I just stacked up and tied an organdy ribbon around them without the box! You could always just put the other 6 cards in a clear cellophane package with a ribbon tied around the top too! I just love how this little ditties turned out! I have plans to make a bunch more. A cute little pack filled with miscellaneous sentiments would be cute too!

These were so SUPER easy girlfriends! What an awesome little gift, for so little money. You don't even need to buy new designer paper to cover these things, your scraps will do just fine! So, so, so much fun!

Well, Blogger is still screwed up. I'm still not getting any emails saying I have comments (one or two come through, but that's about it. I wonder if Blogger is working on this problem yet? It seems like it's happening to all Blogger accounts, not just mine. Is anyone's working yet? I hate it! I want my old Blogger back!

A bunch of you were wondering where who makes the sentiment I used on Saturdays' Scrap Stash Saturday card. It is from Wordsworth by Rubber Soul and it's called To Accomplish. Everyone always asks about this saying! It's such a great one.

Well, I'm hoping today or tomorrow I will hear from CARDS that they want to publish at least ONE of my cards that I submitted for their Feb 08 call. If not, I'll be insanely bummed out. The rejection is starting to take it's toll on my ego. Be thinking good things for me, k?

Have a wonderful day girlfriends!

Hugs,
Amy

16 comments:

  1. How clever you are....super idea! Your cards are adorable. I do so hope my Michael's has those! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Way cute! I like this new Monday Makeover...can't wait to see more Monday projects! Super Cute! Lisa K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:34 AM

    I will be right by a Michael's today, Amy and I will hobble there. The best I can do since knee surgery two weeks ago. Rest assured, I will have mini notes to makeover by the end of the day!! Thanks so much for the tip.

    barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Cute, very clever & like you said if you don't want to re-do them you still have 3x3 envelopes for a buck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I've seen those cards and just never thought to do this! And I hope your cards get published. That is exactly why I don't submit my work.... I am afraid of rejection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:40 PM

    OK, call me "stupid" but when you stick on the new piece of 3x3 paper to this card you can see that you have done this correct, does it look good? I'm sure it does! I mean you ROCK! I'm just stumped. I saw these cards at the Michael's here in Canada ($1.50) but, I wasn't sure if I could handle seeing a "seem". Am I crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:15 PM

    I was planning to go over to Michaels tomorrow anyway, so now I'll have to look for these. What a terrific little bargain! And what an awesome job you did making them over! You amaze me with your creative style. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, those are totally clever and too adorable! I was just at Mike's...how in Heaven's name did I miss these??? You're so awesome. Crossing all my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! At first I was thinking that you had coloured in the cards yourself and then I read on to see what you were doing with them.
    I've often seen these little packs for so cheap but never thought to buy them just for their odd sized envelopes.
    I actually did consider buying some but not to cover them entirely as you've done but to add on to them.
    Have you seen the 10 packs of just polka dot note cards - red/white or black/white? I thought those would be cool to add an embellishment or stamped image to for a quick set of notecards - already folded, with envelopes and a case!
    Now I'll definately have to go back and check out the selection for envelopes!
    Thanks for opening my eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome makeover! I love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful! Please tell your ego that we all love your work. Even though I rarely post (bad girl) I'm constantly in awe of all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very clever idea! I'll have to stop by Michael's today and see if they have these! Super cute, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:12 PM

    Amy, these makeover cards are fabulous! You are so stinkin' creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:29 PM

    Wow, love those cards, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:17 PM

    Amy, Great idea! It is so funny, I just looked at these yesterday cuz I LOVE Mary Englebreit but I thought...noooo, what do I need those for? Duh, just for the envelopes is well worth it...let alone recovering them...back to Michaels I go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:44 AM

    Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. It even inspired me to go to Michael's and buy some cards. Here's a sample of what I did with the $1 notecards I bought. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/675656?cat=500&ppuser=28430

    I haven't altered the mini cards yet but I did buy 6 packs.

    Love your blog and wanted to let you know your family is in my thoughts! {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin