Thursday, August 02, 2007

Unspeakable Tragedy: Bridge Collapse

(photos courtesy of the Star Tribune)

In Minneapolis this morning, we are all in utter shock after the tragic collapse of the Interstate 35W bridge that collapsed last night in rush hour traffic. Hundreds of thousands of passengers travel this bridge DAILY.

I had just arrived at my girlfriend's house for a little chit chat before we went to another friend's house for Bunco. Her daughter yelled down to us that a "bridge had collapsed on 35W". It was in the 90s yesterday, so both of us sort of blew her off thinking a road had probably "buckled" in the heat. We turned on the tv anyways, and then discovered the gruesome details of what had actually happened. I liken my first reaction to hearing about the bridge to that of when I first heard about the planes flying into the World Trade towers on 911. What? Where? How? Disbelief, amazement, terror. Did I know anyone who might have traveled this route home every day? It was difficult to tear ourselves away from the tv coverage to go to Bunco. I called my loved ones on the phone and made sure everyone was ok. One of my brother's hadn't heard about it yet (I called him on my cell), but when he found out which bridge it was, he told me he drives that bridge all the time during the working day as he works downtown. Gulp.

When we got to Bunco, we found out one of the women in our Bunco group had driven over the bridge at 545p........15 minutes before it's collapse. She was very shaken, needless to say.

My husband was with my younger son at his baseball game when I got ahold of him to tell him about the collapse. He is the program director for the news/talk station here in the Twin Cities, so he had to rush back to work for extended coverage of the disaster. He was actually coaching 1st base when he had to leave!

When I got home from Bunco, I just sat in front of the tv for a bit longer, finally heading to bed to watch more coverage at 1030p. By then, nothing much was happening because of the darkness. You couldn't see anything of the bridge. I turned off the tv at 11pm. My husband got home at 1230am, and then we talked for a while about our night. It took a while to finally get to sleep, as you could imagine. To much adrenaline, too much sadness.

It was at this point, as I lay in bed processing the whole event, that I finally realized that my youngest son, who arrived home from camp Monday night at 630p, passed over this very bridge two days earlier on his way home to us. He was probably on the bridge at the very same time that it collapsed last night. The bridge is only about 15 minutes from our church (in rush hour traffic). It could have been him, in an entourage of 4 huge buses, that plunged to the Mississppi in the collapse of this bridge last night. I shudder at the thought. I myself drove this bridge a few weeks ago when I went to visit my son up at camp for his 16 birthday.....it is located approximately 25 miles from where I live south of downtown Minneapolis.

It's events like these that shake us to the core. It's events like this one that cause us to dwell on the "what ifs". I'm sure I'll be processing this "what if" for days to come. It could have been me living this nightmare personally had this happened only two nights earlier.....

Right now, I am consumed with grief for the fate of so many still missing and for those precious people that lost their lives in this horrific tradgedy. I am amazed when I hear stories of individuals that SURVIVED the 64 foot fall with only a slight scratch on the nose to show for it. And thankfuly, God was looking over the fate of 50+ children on a school bus that survived the collapse with only 8 injuries, none life-threatening. I am worried that I will know someone who was not so lucky. Please pray for our rescue workers and emergency personnel as they continue in their recovery efforts for bodies today.

Needless to say, showcasing a card today seems in bad taste given the circumstances. I will post one tomorrow for you instead. For those of you interested in Muriel's recovery, it seems like when we take one step forward, we take 10 back. She developed a high fevor yesterday and was re-intubated again (remember, they just removed the breathing tube yesterday) because they fear she could become septic (?) from the infection obviously coursing through her at this time. Prayers are needed here too.

Keep us all in your prayers.

24 comments:

  1. Amy, this is a terrible tragedy and my prayers go out to the entire city at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...i live a pretty unplugged life, choosing not to watch the news daily, so i had no idea. i can imagine the emotions that surged through you and all the thoughts that went through your head. this does seem very hard to wrap my head around, just like 9-11 did. thinking of you...sorry to hear muriel is cycling backwards again. keep turning your eyes upon Jesus, friend. He's the only true comfort available...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:32 AM

    Amy -

    Sorry to hear about the set back with Muriel.

    Still in shock about the bridge collapse. I've driven that bridge numerous times. Glad to hear your family wasn't involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:37 AM

    To My Birth City, I pray for everyone affected by this tragedy.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I can only imagine the heartache of everyone there. What a tragedy, indeed. When I saw that school bus on the news report my heart almost stopped! I will pray for you all...and Muriel. {{{Hugs to you!}}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too feel a sense of grim this day.
    As I watched the coverage last night in dumbstruck awe, I commented to my husband that he always wondered why I have what I call 'bridge anxiety'.

    Thinking of the residents of the area and those that are directly involved...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Amy, I immediately thought of you alst night when they broke into the TV propgram to give the news. Such a frightening event. I am glad yoru family is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw some photos from this terrible accident this morning. It's heart breaking...I can't even imagine the terror this must have been for the people on the bridge and those waiting to hear from loved ones. Makes me want to never go across a bridge with my children in the car again! Our prayers will be offered for those affected by this tradegy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending healing vibes to Muriel and millions of thoughts to your city and the families affected by the tragedy.
    I have had a terrible fear of bridges since I was young and travelled over the San Fran-Oakland Bay Bridge a few hours before it collased in 1989.
    Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry it's hitting so close to home. I saw it on the news and just sank because that can be easily anybody in any city. I hope none of your friends were in it. And I totally understand the 'it could've been' but thank God that is not the case. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh No, I’ve been out of the loop for a day my internet was down so I’ve only just heard the dreadful news!

    My heart & love goes out to all those people who have loved ones affected by this horrible accident!

    *G*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Amy -

    We too have friends who drive the bridge every day. Our dear friend and neighbor called last night to let us know she was okay, she had crossed the bridge to go to dinner. She also called this am to let me know she had driven over the bridge just 15 minutes prior, her daughter drives that bridge daily. We are very thankful there were not more people hurt. God is truly watching out for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:07 AM

    OMG(goodness), I am sooo sorry to hear about Muriel, will keep praying for her and prayers are already being said for your community and state, what an unbelievably horrific tragedy.
    Hugs my friend,
    danni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, my heart hurts for you, your family, and everyone involved in this horrible tragedy. You are right, the first feelings were very much like 911. They say God will only give us what we can handle...but boy, he sure has given you a lot to deal with lately. My prayers for Muriel and the people of MN are heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:20 AM

    As an Oklahoma City resident who endured the Murray Building bombing, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and the people of your city. We all go through the what-ifs when something like this happens, but are so glad that you and your family were not involved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought of you yesterday when I heard because I remembered that's where you live. We are all in shock about the tragedy and pray for your entire state.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cry as I read your heartfelf words Amy. I am pryaing for all those in your city who are involved in any way. I can only imagine what they are going through and my heart goes out to them. I lift PRAISE to GOD for those who have been spared (inculding your family members Amy). I continue to pray for Muriel and your whole family as her health remains in danger.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heard about his from a friend of mine over at SCS. She was worried about a fellow blogger, Lisa Z. She did get a hold of her and she was fine...I had no idea you lived here. Glad to hear you and your family are ok. It is so unbelievable....So sad....Prayers to all of those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I were in shock as we watched coverage of this on tv last night. My very first thought was that it must be in CA, that there was an earthquake. I was shocked when I saw it was MN! We're far away in TX, but as I watched I immediately thought of my fellow bloggers that I know are in MN, and of course thought of you. I'm so glad your family is safe, and I hope you do not end up personally knowing anyone impacted. What a horrible tragedy! And very sorry about Muriel's latest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Amy -

    I am a regular "stalker" of your blog, but I have never commented. Your post brought me to tears. I am originally from St. Paul and still visit every summer. Our phone down here in Texas started rining right away last night, as all of our family still lives in MN.

    This tragic event is in my constant thoughts and prayers.

    (((HUGS))) to you for being so close to the event and having so many "what-ifs". I can't imagine what everyone is going through.

    - amanda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love to a great state and a great people. We are thinking of you through all of this! from Va.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:43 PM

    Yesterday 7pm I turned on the TV to get the weather 'cause it looked like a storm was brewing, and saw the coverage. I was glued to the set for the rest of the night. I just thought that it looked like the earthquake pics from San Fransisco. I kept thinking about more and more people that I knew that might have been driving that route. (I live on the west side of the Minneapolis area). The news traveled fast- I had lots of emails from out of state friends checking up on me. Glad to read your family is doing well too.

    Driving today it seemed as if there were bridges everywhere. It sure makes one realize how fragile life is, and that at any time we need to be ready to meet our maker.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy~
    Prayers for Muriel.

    You re right..we all go thru the what if's, and think about that could be someone I know, and hug our kids tighter that day..

    Prayers to the city, and everyone involved. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too feel for all those affected by this tragedy. My father-in-law was on that bridge twice that day too. . .it could have just as easily been him. But God still needs him here on this earth. Continued prayers for all those still waiting to hear about their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin