Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Try Something New Tuesday!

Tuesdays are the day when I try something that I've never tried before creatively. This week, it's all about ATC's, or Artist Trading Cards. I see these all the time on SCS, but I've never ventured into trying to make my own! I did a little research yesterday to learn more about these adorable little things....

Did you know that ATC's :

  1. are considered collectibles and miniature works of art?

  2. were born of the older sports trading cards?

  3. dimensions MUST be 2.5x3.5?

  4. mustn't be sold, only EXCHANGED? Either face-to-face or through the mail.

  5. are about meeting other artists and exposing yourself to many other personal styles?

  6. should have the artists name, contact number, title of the ATC, and number (2 of 3) if it's part of an edition?

  7. by definition, are made in limited numbers, often no more than one of a kind?

  8. that are unique (usually on one was made) are called "originals", sets of identical ATC's are called "editions" (and are numbered), and sets of ATC's that are different but based on the same theme are called "series".

    Well, there you go. Probably more than you ever wanted to know about ATC's. After making these two ATC's, I've concluded that they are too much work for something so small! These two ditties took me as long or longer as it does to make a full-size card! There are so many people that are really into ATC's, especially SU demos, who trade them at conventions, etc. I think for that purpose they are a great idea! But since I'm not a demo, and since I found them to be so much work, I don't think I'll be making another any time soon. But I must say, the ones I've seen on SCS are BEAUTIFUL! You really should go check them out sometime, and then try making one yourself. Remember, Try Something New Tuesday is about s t r e tc h i n g ourselves out of our comfort zones. This was a great exercise for me, and I'm glad I gave them a try. If you are so inspired, be sure and send me a link so I can see your creations!

    I wanted to share these two pictures of the youngest member of our family, who was sunning himself yesterday morning in front of the sliding glass door! His name is Copper, and he is a toy poodle, almost 8 years old. He weighs all of 6.5 pounds. He considers me the pack leader of the family, so he follows me wherever I go, bathroom included! If there is an available lap, he's there. He loves bananas and cheese. He can hear me peel a banana from upstairs! Quite the amazing pooch, don't you think?

    Well, it's time to sign off and go stamp. I am relishing the peacefulness of the house now that the boys are back to school today!

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Too cute. My greyhound I had used to sleep by our sliding glass door in the sunshine! I bet it feels so good!!!

    Cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutie patootie pup! lol at hearing a banana being opened from far away. Must really love them.

    Really pretty ATCs!! A lot of work in such a little space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pics! Our dog loves cheese, too! As soon as he hears the crinkle of the package, he's coming full speed to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:00 PM

    pretty ATC's. You think those are small, try an inchie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    I love you card with all the colors on the flower. Your puppy is adorable. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those ATC's are GORGEOUS. And your pup is adorable. We have a rat terrier who is a sun worshipper, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:50 PM

    your atc's are gorgeous! love that sunshine snoozer, great memories of ours growing up! My mom had a poodle that loved cheese and slept in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ATC's are stunning. Love them.

    Your new puppy is sooooo cute. I have 2 that are my buddies and follow me around all day long. The best thing is "they" always like my work and keep their opinions to themselves LOL.

    grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOHH, I just LOVE your ATC's. SOOO pretty and vibrant!!
    And the doggie is adorable too!
    Anette(snowmom13)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are awesome trading cards, Amy!!! Beautifully done! Your doggy is soooo cute! Give him a hug for me! My parents raised poodles for a time (they showed them). We had toy poodles AND standard poodles growing up. But the grooming was tedious for shows, so they did a 180 and got into German Short-haired Pointers! ;D Short, short, easy-to-care-for hair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics of your dog!! So sweet!

    I think your ATC's are just fabulous - but they do look like alot of work. I just signed up for an ATC swap at a gathering I'm attending. I really should get started now because I always wait until the very last minute on things!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin