Monday, April 02, 2007

A Tribute to Mother


This morning marks the first day of Spring Break in our household, and guess what time Son #2 got up? 7:10am. He complains everyday during school about getting up so early, but when he has a chance to sleep in? Up with the birds. Our oldest, who's 15 was up an just an hour later. You'd think those teenage hormones that are raging in his body would let him sleep till noon like most teenagers do. Not my kids. I'm afraid they inherited their Mom's sleep habits. I've always been an early riser, just like my parents were! If I get up any later, I feel like I've wasted the day!

The card I'm sharing with you today is one I made this weekend at my retreat. I love how it turned out and I plan on making a whole bunch more just like this! I think it's actually the very first card I made when I got to there, so you can tell my creative juices were on high the minute I sat down and got busy. The stars were aligned, so they say! This doesn't happen too often!

I used Basic Grey (Lily Kate I think) paper as my background. I stamped and aquapainted two Doodle This flowers with SU ink in Pumpkin Pie (this is a much better orange for me, I've never once opened my Only Orange stamp pad!) and Pretty In Pink. I made a double blossom by putting the flowers together and adhering with a large circle brad. For the flower stem, I used some brown and pink polka dot ribbon. The leaves are two petals from the Doodle This flower aquapainted with Old Olive ink. They are mounted on top of the ribbon with foam tape. The flower was placed on top of a square accent of So Saffron cardstock because if I had put it directly on top of the Basic Grey paper, it would have gotten lost in the pattern. The So Saffron really lets the flower stand out on it's own. I added a little bit of brown doodling around the perimeter of the So Saffron cardstock to punch it up a little more. The Mother's Day sentiment(Inkadinkado) finishes the card off perfectly.

Be sure and check back tomorrow, as I kick off my new Tuesday feature "Try Something New Tuesday"! I cannot wait to get busy on making the card I'm going to showcase tomorrow! Want a little hint? It involves an electric machine of some kind. Remember, the card I make is going to showcase a technique that I MYSELF have never tried before. I'm sort of a simple- keep-things-uncomplicated-type-stamper, so many of the things I feature on Tuesdays YOU might have already tried many times. I'm hoping this feature will be a way to push myself outside my comfort zone and grow as a stamper, and in the process, I might get lucky and help you to grow too. I think this is going to be so much fun. In fact......I'm going to get rockin' on it right now! Have a great day! Wish me luck entertaining two teenage boys today!

9 comments:

  1. This is a great looking card! My niece is always in bed until noon...DH and I are hoping it would rub off on our kids but no such luck!lnf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so cheery! I really like the colors and design. That flower just pops out and says, "Hello & Smile!" If this card is how you started the day, I can hardly wait to see a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just followed a link from Beate's blog here and LOVE what I'm seeing. Such a beautiful card and a beautiful blog! I love the ribbon stem on today's card. I'll have to get working on some of your fab sketches.
    -Julee T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanted to let you know that you are not alone.... on a week day my kids' alarms go off at 6:45... at 7:15 my youngest (10 y.o.) is working on getting out of bed. They are on their way to school at 7:45. But then comes the weekend (and Spring Break)... he is up around 6:30 without an alarm! His older brother would like to sleep in but the younger one likes to wake him

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of those cards that I look at and say "Now why didn't I think of that???" Using a petal for the leaves is a great idea! Love the whole look of the card...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the card! especially how you used the petals for leaves... very nice touch! we're using that stamp at my scrappin' club tonight, so I might have to show my ladies that little idea! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Great card Amy! Can't wait to check back here tomorrow!
    Entertaining teenage boys.....hmmmm, mine are only 12 and 10 1/2...but as long as they have their computer games or it's nice outside...they don't need no entertainment.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Love the card. Never would have tried the orange color. Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card is adorable! I love how you used the ribbon for the stem and the BasicGrey paper looks great with it! I don't think I have ever used my Only Orange ink pad either! I always tend to pull Pumpkin if I need an orange. Great card!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin